Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
olrustyxlsuser olrustyxlsuser is offline

Default changing decimals to fractions

Hello,
Office 2007 (Enterprise) - Doing a mail merge where data from the data
source is changed from fraction to decimal in the merge. How can I change
the data back to fraction? Pretty sure I'll have to use a switch, but can't
find the correct format.
TIA.
John
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

From the Office button in Word, select Word Options and then go to the
Advanced tab General and check the box against the "Confirm conversions
at open" item. Then when you attach the data source to the mail merge main
document, you will be given the option of using the DDE method of connection
which should read the data as you have it formatted in the Excel table.

Fields I'm afraid don't do fractions -

olrustyxlsuser wrote:
Hello,
Office 2007 (Enterprise) - Doing a mail merge where data from the data
source is changed from fraction to decimal in the merge. How can I
change the data back to fraction? Pretty sure I'll have to use a
switch, but can't find the correct format.
TIA.
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
olrustyxlsuser olrustyxlsuser is offline

Thank you Graham. This works splendidly! I had problems connecting via DDE
a couple of times, but was able to fix the problem by slightly changing the
layout of the source file, ie. deleting empty rows, etc.
Much appreciated.
John

From the Office button in Word, select Word Options and then go to the

olrustyxlsuser wrote:
Hello,
Office 2007 (Enterprise) - Doing a mail merge where data from the data
source is changed from fraction to decimal in the merge. How can I
change the data back to fraction? Pretty sure I'll have to use a
switch, but can't find the correct format.
TIA.
John

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

DDE is a bit flaky which is why it is no longer the default, but it is the
only way to bring in formatting that cannot be recreated in Word.

olrustyxlsuser wrote:
Thank you Graham. This works splendidly! I had problems connecting
via DDE a couple of times, but was able to fix the problem by
slightly changing the layout of the source file, ie. deleting empty
rows, etc.
Much appreciated.
John

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

From the Office button in Word, select Word Options and then go to
the Advanced tab General and check the box against the "Confirm

olrustyxlsuser wrote:
Hello,
Office 2007 (Enterprise) - Doing a mail merge where data from the
data source is changed from fraction to decimal in the merge. How
can I change the data back to fraction? Pretty sure I'll have to
use a switch, but can't find the correct format.
TIA.
John

Repeating Decimals InvaderDeviLin Microsoft Word Help 7 April 22nd 23 06:31 AM
decimals stan Mailmerge 1 August 18th 06 06:26 AM
How to make odd fractions look like normal common fractions? Skimap1 Microsoft Word Help 2 July 20th 05 03:13 PM
Word should auto convert the 1/3 fractions like 1/4-1/2 fractions. greneyes Microsoft Word Help 5 March 24th 05 07:31 PM
How do I get automatic fractions in Word for uncommon fractions l. Kurt Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 04 07:25 PM