Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Evan Evan is offline

Default Merge fields in Word pulling data from wrong Excel Columns. Help m

I've spent hours on this. It is driving me crazy. Any help would be
infinately, utterly, completely appreciated.

I am using mail merge with Office 2003 to print out customers order details.
I created a Word template with merge field codes that correspond to column
headings in an Excel file. When I do the merge, the merge field codes should
be populated with data from the corresponding Excel column. The problem is,
the data comes from seemingly random columns. To see what I mean, please
take a look at the following example.

First 3 of about 50 entries in Word:

Name: { MERGEFIELD "Last_Name" }
Item: { MERGEFIELD "Item" }
Fabric: { MERGEFIELD "Fabric" }

First 3 of about 50 headings in Excel:

Column A: Fabric
Column B: Collar
Column C: Cuff

Here is what it looks like after I merge:

Name: August 09
Item:
Fabric: Blue07

You can see Word is places data from the wrong columns in 2 of the 3 fields.
Why is this happening? How can I get the right data to appear in the right
fields?

Thank you so much for any help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The example that you have provided does not give enough information. If you
want to send me some of the spreadsheet (it does not need to have all of the
records and the mail merge main document, I will take a look at it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Evan" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Evan Evan is offline

Default Merge fields in Word pulling data from wrong Excel Columns. He

Thanks, Doug. I sent the files to you. Let me know if you didn't get the
email.