Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JL JL is offline

Default Word 2003 and Quick parts

Hi all,

I'm using SharePoint 2007 to link properties into a Word 2007
document. Those metadata are used in Word
2007 as quick parts, to be read in Word 2003 (with Compatibility
pack). Documents are setup as template in a library and copied into
another library with a workflow.

When viewing the original file, Word 2003 renders the quick part
correctly. But after the document is copied, Word 2003 doesn't not
renders the quick parts values but only the quick parts tag.

I've tried to copy the document via a custom activity in SharePoint
Designer and also via the SharePoint interface.

I'm struggling with this issue, can anyone help me ?

Thanks

JL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Unfortunately I only ever had the trial version of Sharepoint 2007 here so
many not be able to help, but...
a. I wouldn't really expect Word 2003 to deal with this /well/ because the
features that enable the links to Sharepoint data are only in Word 2007.
That means a conversion to Word 2003 format is going to lose those links or
transform them so they won't work the same way. If the conversion is
sensible enough to try to insert the necessary data into the Word 2003
document and throw away any link informaiton, at least you get to see the
current state of the document. But if it tries harder, then any link
information it tries to retain is likely to be lost rather easily.
b. when you get the the point where you make the copy, are you copying the
original Word 2007 document, or are you copying a Word 2003 document (.doc
format or old Word 2003 WordProcessingML .xml format) that you created by
(for example) opening the WOrd 2007 .docx in Word 2003 (via the converter,
obviously), then saving it as .doc/.dotx?
c. When the document is open in Word 2003, do the quick parts display as
field codes if you use Alt-f9 to toggle field code display (e.g. are they
actually INCLUDETEXTs, LINKS, or some such?

Peter Jamieson

"JL" wrote in message
ups.com...
Hi all,

I'm using SharePoint 2007 to link properties into a Word 2007
document. Those metadata are used in Word
2007 as quick parts, to be read in Word 2003 (with Compatibility
pack). Documents are setup as template in a library and copied into
another library with a workflow.

When viewing the original file, Word 2003 renders the quick part
correctly. But after the document is copied, Word 2003 doesn't not
renders the quick parts values but only the quick parts tag.

I've tried to copy the document via a custom activity in SharePoint
Designer and also via the SharePoint interface.

I'm struggling with this issue, can anyone help me ?

Thanks

JL

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JL JL is offline

"JL" wrote in message

ups.com...

Hi all,

I'm using SharePoint 2007 to link properties into a Word 2007
document. Those metadata are used in Word
2007 as quick parts, to be read in Word 2003 (with Compatibility
pack). Documents are setup as template in a library and copied into
another library with a workflow.

When viewing the original file, Word 2003 renders the quick part
correctly. But after the document is copied, Word 2003 doesn't not
renders the quick parts values but only the quick parts tag.

I've tried to copy the document via a custom activity in SharePoint
Designer and also via the SharePoint interface.

I'm struggling with this issue, can anyone help me ?

Thanks

JL- Masquer le texte des messages précédents -

- Afficher le texte des messages précédents -

Hi Peter,

Thanks for the input.

The document was a Word 2003 (.doc) saved in Word 2007 (.docx) without
the "maintain compatibility" thing. But i've tested with a pure Word
2007 and its the same behaviour. The copied one does not work and the
original is working. There is no converting in my copying process.

I have transformed the .docx documents in .zip for testing, and the
values are present in both xml files of the .docx document.

The document opened in Word 2003 only show the quick parts as tag
( [myfield] ) but i can't do anything on them, since is use 2003 to
open them.

Jean-Luc

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Well I do have SharePoint v3 here and although that may not be enough to
replicate your case, it may be worth trying.

Can you please
a. go step by step through a really simple example which demonstrates the
problem? (Including any necessary steps on the Sharepoint side, e.g. if you
are creating SharePoint columns
b. despam my e-mail (remove KillmapS ) and e-mail me your before-and-after
..docx files (or just one, if they are identical :-) )

Peter Jamieson
oups.com...

"JL" wrote in message

[...]

quick parts auto numbering Shelley V Microsoft Word Help 3 July 24th 07 12:38 PM
Multiple entries selected for quick parts Sally Formatting Long Documents 3 May 14th 07 06:27 PM
Quick Parts Properties Disabled when doc stored in MOSS Steven H Microsoft Word Help 0 November 28th 06 08:31 PM
Quick parts MADS New Users 1 July 24th 06 11:55 AM
Restore Deleted Quick Parts entry Bob Microsoft Word Help 1 July 10th 06 02:40 PM