Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melotte Melotte is offline

Default Problem with normal.dot (I think...)

Greeting from (old) Europe!
I have a problem with Word 2007 (but I think it was the same with the
previous versions).
I have created a template for a blank page which is stored as normal.dot. It
works fine.
However, if, incidentally, I use "right click / New / Word document", what
appears on the screen is NOT based on my normal.dot, but, I think, on some
default MS template.
Did anyone came across this unpleasant situeation ? Is there a way to tackle
this problem.
Thanks for enlighting us, poor Europeans !
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The default template for Word 2007 is normal.dotm and can only be created by
Word. *You* cannot create normal.dot or dotm in any version. Whatever your
normal.dot is and where it is stored, it doesn't appear to have anything to
do with the creation of documents.

Locate normal.dotm (it's in the folder indicated at Word Options Advanced
File locations User templates) and edit that to apply your

personalisations.

Melotte wrote:
Greeting from (old) Europe!
I have a problem with Word 2007 (but I think it was the same with the
previous versions).
I have created a template for a blank page which is stored as
normal.dot. It works fine.
However, if, incidentally, I use "right click / New / Word document",
what appears on the screen is NOT based on my normal.dot, but, I
think, on some default MS template.
Did anyone came across this unpleasant situeation ? Is there a way to
tackle this problem.
Thanks for enlighting us, poor Europeans !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melotte Melotte is offline

Thanks Graham,
This is exactly what I did. I have applied my personnalizations to MY
normal.dotm. When I create a new document via the Word icon, everything goes
fine. Nevertheless, if I right click in the explorer or on the desktop then
New / Word Document, I do not get my personalizations: different font
(calibri vs. arail narrow), different paragraph arrangement, everything is
different and looks like the defaut normal.dotm before my personalizations.
How do you explain that ?
This is what I mean when I sy that there must be a "built in" and hidden
normal.dotm template that supersedes my own.
Am I clear enough (apologies for my broken english...)

Melotte wrote:
Greeting from (old) Europe!
I have a problem with Word 2007 (but I think it was the same with the
previous versions).
I have created a template for a blank page which is stored as
normal.dot. It works fine.
However, if, incidentally, I use "right click / New / Word document",
what appears on the screen is NOT based on my normal.dot, but, I
think, on some default MS template.
Did anyone came across this unpleasant situeation ? Is there a way to
tackle this problem.
Thanks for enlighting us, poor Europeans !

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Melotte Melotte is offline

Default Problem with normal.dot (I think...) + a little game...

Hi Graham,
I still dont unerstand why there is a different behavior between the two
ways of creating a Word document.
Can I suggest a little game ?
1. Get into Word 2007, create a new document, place it on the desktop. Il's
called Doc1. Zip it.
2. Right cick the destop or the explorer/ new / create a new doc / call it
Doc2, place it on the desktop. Zip it.
3. Delete Doc1 & 2, just keep the two compressed folders.
4. Extract the 2 compressed files, and see what happens...
Then you will maybe understand why there may be some sort of a bug somewhere.
Kind regards