Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nancy Newburger Nancy Newburger is offline

Default export data to Excel

I have a Word document with a lot of text differentiated by style. Is it
possible to collect all instances of a particular style of text, transfer it
to an Excel spreadsheet and have the words in each instance counted.

Example:
Word Document:
Style 1-Instance 1 4 words
Style 2-Instance 1 8 words
Style 1-Instance 2 6 words
Style 3-Instance 1 11 words

Excel Spreadsheet:
Cell 1A - Style 1 10 words
Cell 2A - Style 2 8 words
Cell 3A - Style 3 11 words

I am not familiar with macros or programming them, so I really need the
simplest way to do this.

Many thanks for all who respond.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

If you are using Word 2007, you can select all of the instances of a style
and then copy them all at once to the clipboard and then paste them into
Excel.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Nancy Newburger" wrote in
message ...
I have a Word document with a lot of text differentiated by style. Is it
possible to collect all instances of a particular style of text, transfer
it
to an Excel spreadsheet and have the words in each instance counted.

Example:
Word Document:
Style 1-Instance 1 4 words
Style 2-Instance 1 8 words
Style 1-Instance 2 6 words
Style 3-Instance 1 11 words

Excel Spreadsheet:
Cell 1A - Style 1 10 words
Cell 2A - Style 2 8 words
Cell 3A - Style 3 11 words

I am not familiar with macros or programming them, so I really need the
simplest way to do this.

Many thanks for all who respond.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Nancy Newburger Nancy Newburger is offline

Thank you, Doug, for your response.

I am using Word 2003.

My first issue is to get all the current text into Excel without cutting and
pasting each instance of each style. It seems that this is an issue, because
to select all instances of a style creates too many words to fit into one
cell in Excel.

Secondly, whenever I add instances of that style or make changes to current
instances of that style, I would like the word count in Excel to update
automatically.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Certainly, the second part of what you want to do is going to take some
really heavy duty programming. That is if it is even possible, and I am not
sure that it is. What is the purpose for wanting to do this. There may be
some other way to achieve the same end result..