Marss

Default Highlight Changes

Where is "Highlight Changes" dialog box (with a check box called "Highlight
Changes on the screen") ????? I know only where "Final Showing Markup" is.

Thank you
garfield-n-odie

I think you're talking about the same thing. To show tracked changes in
Word 97, you click on Tools | Track Changes | Highlight Changes. To
show tracked changes in Word 2002 and 2003, you choose "Final Showing
Markup" from the Reviewing toolbar.

Marss wrote:

Where is "Highlight Changes" dialog box (with a check box called "Highlight
Changes on the screen") ????? I know only where "Final Showing Markup" is.

Thank you

Daiya Mitchell

On 1/5/05 11:45 AM, "garfield-n-odie" wrote:

I think you're talking about the same thing. To show tracked changes in
Word 97, you click on Tools | Track Changes | Highlight Changes.

I thought that command turned Tracking Changes on and off?
show tracked changes in Word 2002 and 2003, you choose "Final Showing
Markup" from the Reviewing toolbar.

And this merely changes what you see, but not whether new changes will be
tracked or not?

DM

garfield-n-odie

Hmmm.... good question... now you're making me wonder whether what I
said is correct, and I can't check at the moment because the CMOS
battery died in my old computer with Office 97 and I haven't gotten
around to fixing it.

Daiya Mitchell wrote:

And this merely changes what you see, but not whether new changes will be
tracked or not?

DM

Marss

Thank you very much. I'm taking a Microsoft Office Word 2003 course and in my
book they say that " ... revision marks won't be shown on screen unless you
first select the Highlight Changes On Screen check box in the Highlight
Changes dialog box...". As we are talking about Word 2003 I wasn't able to
find any Highlight Changes dialog box, only "Final Showing Markup" on the
Reviewing toolbar. Of course changes won't be tracked if you don't activate
tracking.

Daiya Mitchell

Yes, I always forget that. In my version, and I believe Win versions up to
2000 at least, the Tools | Track Changes Highlight Changes... menu command
produces a dialog with three checkboxes:
--track changes while editing
--highlight changes on screen
--highlight changes on printed document

The first checkbox is one way of turning Change Tracking on and off. The
second checkbox is the equivalent of setting "showing Markup" in a view. Two
separate actions, used to be same dialog.

I don't know about Word 2003, but the original poster's book suggests this
dialog still exists, perhaps only the path to access it has changed--or
perhaps the book was not properly updated--or are you referring to a book
for an earlier version? But the OP should try the menu path above.
However, for the OP, there are different ways to access these commands, so I
doubt you need to worry about it, as long as you know how to show markup and
how to turn change tracking on and off.

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

In my copy of Word 2003 (and I'm sure I haven't customized anything to do
with revision tools), the Tools menu has Track Changes with the Ctrl+Shift+E
shortcut (no ellipsis, so no dialog). I would imagine this was true in Word
2002 as well. I suspect the textbook just hasn't caught up.

[...]

What's an MVP? A volunteer! Read the FAQ:

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/

SP

I'm using Word 2002 via Office XP SP3. The track changes is very different
from what I was accustomed to. I no longer seem to have the check boxes to
select whether or not I want to view on screen/on print? Is that correct? If
not, please help me locate that functionality. Also, I used to be able to
select what I wanted the text to look like dependent upon the action. That
is, if text was removed, I could indicate that I want it made red, stricken
through and underlined. AND if text were added, it would appear blue and
underlined. Now, my selection appeares to be colored by author and for
insertions. I don't want to have to go to options when I want the color to
change and I'm sure there's a way to do it like I could before in previous
versions...but I'm unable to find it!! Please help!!

"Marss" wrote:

Where is "Highlight Changes" dialog box (with a check box called "Highlight
Changes on the screen") ????? I know only where "Final Showing Markup" is.

Thank you

In Word 2002, the Track Changes features are located on the Reviewing
toolbar, which should be displayed automatically when you view a document
with tracked changes or comments. You have a choice of four views: Original,
Original Showing Markup, Final, and Final Showing Markup. The difference
between Original Showing Markup and Final Showing Markup (if you are using
the default "balloons") is that in OSM, you will see the original text
between the margins and the changes (additions) in the marginal balloons;
FSM is the opposite: final between the margins and changes (deletions) in
the margins.

This is in Print Layout view only. In Normal view (or in Print Layout view
if you choose not to use balloons), you'll see something more closely
resembling what you're used to, the chief difference being that deletions
and additions are shown in the same color (deletions struck through and
additions underlined). You do have a choice about the formatting of
additions; through a regrettable design oversight, you have no control
(through the UI) of the formatting of deletions, though this can be
controlled through VBA. Full functionality is restored in Word 2003.

On the Reviewing toolbar you'll find buttons and menus that allow you to
select which types of markup you want to display and even choose which
reviewers' markup to display. You can also accept/reject changes
individually, globally, or by specific reviewer.

"Marss" wrote:

Where is "Highlight Changes" dialog box (with a check box called

"Highlight
Changes on the screen") ????? I know only where "Final Showing Markup"

is.

Thank you

SP

Thank you for the reply. It was very helpful!!!

That's amazing that it was overlooked...wow. So it appears that I have to
make a purchase to upgrade my software to a later version to get
functionality I had in a previous version (that's a stinger). That reminds me
of the old cartoon where a vendor stand was giving away hot dogs for free
(that happened to be super spicy) and then would sell a glass of water for
$100 per glass ;o) No, I realize that people make mistakes and that it was
not intentional of Microsoft (whose products I love not bash!!)...I just wish
they would make a fix for this version rather than requiring purchase of 2003.

I really miss that feature because in Document Control it is very helpful to
have a printed document that allows the reader to easily see what was added
and removed by having those colors different.

Can you point me to any websites that address the VBA to fix this. I assume
this is a Visual Basic Application.

"Marss" wrote:

Where is "Highlight Changes" dialog box (with a check box called "Highlight
Changes on the screen") ????? I know only where "Final Showing Markup" is.

Thank you

Marss

I don't know about Word 2002, but in Word 2003 you can print your document
with the revisions and comments if you go to File menu, Print and at the
bottom of this dialog box, for "Print what", you choose "Document showing
markup".

Marcela.