Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angie angie is offline

Default Paste Special in Protected Document

I have a Word document that consists of multiple tables, text fields and
check boxes. I want it to be user friendly, so I have decided to protect the
document so the TAB function works for filling out the form.
Certian individuals need to have the Paste Special function work, but for
some odd reason when you protect the document it grays out the option for
Paste Special.
We need the Paste Special to work, because we have information that needs to
be copied over that is in tables and we need the formating to stay the same.
Any ideas?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Angie

Angie wrote:
I have a Word document that consists of multiple tables, text fields and
check boxes. I want it to be user friendly, so I have decided to protect the
document so the TAB function works for filling out the form.
Certian individuals need to have the Paste Special function work, but for
some odd reason when you protect the document it grays out the option for
Paste Special.
We need the Paste Special to work, because we have information that needs to
be copied over that is in tables and we need the formating to stay the same.
Any ideas?

The usual approach is a macro that un-protects the document, does
whatever is necessary, and then re-protects the document again.

Depending on the version(s) of Word this has to work, you need to
explicitly make sure that the form field contents are preserved while
re-protecting.

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MS
\ / | MVP
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
angie angie is offline

Robert,
Thanks - so how do I go about writing this macro?
I have MS Word 2003.

Angie

"Robert M. Franz (RMF)" wrote:

Hi Angie

Angie wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Angie

Angie wrote:
Thanks - so how do I go about writing this macro?
I have MS Word 2003.

Your best bet: search (and subsequently ask, if necessary) in one of the
..vba Newsgroups (for instance, with google):

http://groups.google.com/groups?as_q...006&sa fe=off

I'm not a developer at all, and this is no really trivial excercise.
There is one article on the Word-MVP site which deals with un- and
re-protecting a document (it does something differently, but that would
probably be the grid):

How to enable the spellchecker in a protected document (by Dave Rado,
Bill Coan, Astrid Zeelenberg, Dan Monk and Geoff Whitfield)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...ProtectDoc.htm

HTH
Robert
--