Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] bsandrah@yahoo.com is offline

Default tab settings for multilevel list

At some point I was mad that Word kept trying to make a list out of
everything I was typing, so when the "handy dandy" little Auto Correct
Options "lightening bold" showed up, I told it to stop doing the auto correct.

Now, I want to make a list, and for some reason it is not making the
multilevel list auto formatting. I've checked all the settings (word
optionsproofingautocorrect options) and EVERYTHING is selected.

When I'm making a list, I have to click on the style button for each level
of the list. Usually you can just press ENTER, and it auto formats the next
line to the next number or letter in line, and use TAB or SHIFT+TAB to move
"up" or "down" in the list.

HELP!!

-Sandra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Note that if you chose a multilevel list format that applies heading styles,
your typing will be affected by the "Style for following paragraph" setting
for those styles; by default, this is set to the Normal style. You can
easily change this, however:

Press Ctrl+Alt+Shift+S. In the Styles pane, click the Manage Styles button.

On the Edit tab, locate the relevant style, say, Heading 1. Click Modify. In
the Modify Style dialog box, click Format, Paragraph. Change the "Style for
following paragraph" in the style definition. Repeat for the other heading
styles as needed.

Observe that if this is a list (and not actual headings in text), you may
also want to turn off the "Keep with next" setting in the Paragraph dialog
box for each style.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

" wrote in
message ...
At some point I was mad that Word kept trying to make a list out of
everything I was typing, so when the "handy dandy" little Auto Correct
Options "lightening bold" showed up, I told it to stop doing the auto
correct.

Now, I want to make a list, and for some reason it is not making the
multilevel list auto formatting. I've checked all the settings (word
optionsproofingautocorrect options) and EVERYTHING is selected.

When I'm making a list, I have to click on the style button for each level
of the list. Usually you can just press ENTER, and it auto formats the
next
line to the next number or letter in line, and use TAB or SHIFT+TAB to
move
"up" or "down" in the list.

HELP!!

-Sandra

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

If the problem is that you can no longer promote and demote the list using
the Tab and Shift+Tab keys, check the "Set left- and first-indent with tabs
and backspaces" option on the AutoFormat As You Type tab of the AutoCorrect
dialog box.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP