Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Me Me is offline

Default Tables In Word 2003

A co-worker of mine wants to be able to resize columns within a table without
the left and right margins of the table changing/moving.

I'm not having this issue on my PC, so I don't know what is wrong. Are
there settings in Word 2003 that can be set for this? I thought this was a
default setting.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The extreme (outer) left & right borders should not change if you drang any
of the interior borders to resize columns. Is the other user holding the
Shift key by any chance?

If that's not it, is that person using 2003? Can't be sure from how your
post is worded. How are they attempting t change the column width?

--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Me" wrote in message
A co-worker of mine wants to be able to resize columns within a table
without
the left and right margins of the table changing/moving.

I'm not having this issue on my PC, so I don't know what is wrong. Are
there settings in Word 2003 that can be set for this? I thought this was
default setting.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tom Conrad Tom Conrad is offline

While I agree that the exterior borders will not automatically re-adjust
when single click and dragging an interior border to adjust a colunm width,
the outer borders can automatically adjust under other circumstances.

The extreme (outer) left & right borders can change when you double-click an
interior border to auto-size an internal column. If the table is center
justified, then both exterior borders adjust. If the table is left (right)
justified, then the right (left)border adjusts. These adjustments occur
despite havng a preferrd table width set.

--
Tom Conrad

===

"Me" wrote in message
A co-worker of mine wants to be able to resize columns within a table
without
the left and right margins of the table changing/moving.

I'm not having this issue on my PC, so I don't know what is wrong. Are
there settings in Word 2003 that can be set for this? I thought this was
default setting.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Yessir, that's one of several possibilities, which is exactly why I asked
*how* the user was attempting resize the columns. I've found from experience
that throwing a number "possibilities" out there at one time often causes
more confusion than clarification
--
Regards |:)
Bob Jones

"Me" wrote in message
A co-worker of mine wants to be able to resize columns within a table
without
the left and right margins of the table changing/moving.

I'm not having this issue on my PC, so I don't know what is wrong. Are
there settings in Word 2003 that can be set for this? I thought this
was
default setting.

Thanks in advance.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Me Me is offline

Thanks for the input guys.

I was able to use this info and help my co-worker understand tables in Word
a little bit better.

"Me" wrote in message
A co-worker of mine wants to be able to resize columns within a table
without
the left and right margins of the table changing/moving.

I'm not having this issue on my PC, so I don't know what is wrong. Are
there settings in Word 2003 that can be set for this? I thought this
was
default setting.

Thanks in advance.

Why do tables in Word 2003 save as Access 2003 files? HumorMe407 Microsoft Word Help 7 December 18th 06 02:55 PM
If you need help joining tables in Word 2003? [email protected] Tables 1 November 10th 06 11:14 AM
Word 2003; Without tables Chris Tables 2 August 11th 05 08:03 PM
Word 2003 - Tables performance [email protected] Tables 2 July 29th 05 01:49 AM
Merging tables in Word 2003 JoanN Microsoft Word Help 3 December 21st 04 06:35 PM