Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Culp

Default Best graphics font

I am using drawing software to create jpg files (no compression) that have
some embedded text. I want to import these files into Word to create
reports. What font should I use in the jpg file so that it will look best in
Word (fewest jaggies for a given resolution of the jpg file)? (I'm currently
using Arial.)

Secondarily, for a given image resolution, should I use a graphics format
other than jpg to get the best font results when imported into Word?

Thanks,
Don Culp

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
CyberTaz

Hi Don -

One point before anything else - If you are truly concerned about the
quality of graphic output, a word processing program is not the optimum
vehicle. If you have no access to a DTP/Layout program & _must_ use Word,
here are a few suggestions;

1- Do *all* of your graphic editing in your graphics program (whatever it
may be), including resolution (240 ppi minimum) & intended print dimensions.
Regardless of what font you use, the image (including the text) has to be
flattened & rasterized for printing, which is done more accurately by
graphics/professional layout software than by a word processor. Generally,
sans serif fonts rasterize 'cleaner' than serif fonts, but in a good graphics
program either should make the trip acceptably well,

2- Save the file as TIFF (or EPS) rather than JPEG - I may be wrong, but as
I understand it, there is no such thing as 'no compression' with a jpg. The
file format, by its very definition, is a compression format, it's just a
matter of degree. (Although there is a newer version of JPG2, with which I am
not fully familiar.) Don't be concerned about file size (as per 3, 4 & 5
below) because the printer needs the information from the file in order to
deliver the results,

3- Store the image (or copies) in the same folder as the Word doc,

4- Make sure to use InsertPictureFrom File to get the image into Word
*and* click the arrow on the right edge of the Insert button to choose Link
to File,

5- Send the entire folder (graphics files & doc) to wherever the printing is
to be done, commercially or in-house, as the images linked to the doc need to
be available at press time. Otherwise low-res versions & RGB colors are all
the doc has to offer.

These are especially important points for commercial (process) printing as
Word has *no* grasp of CMYK color separation or other color profile control.

Good Luck |:)

"Don Culp" wrote:

I am using drawing software to create jpg files (no compression) that have
some embedded text. I want to import these files into Word to create
reports. What font should I use in the jpg file so that it will look best in
Word (fewest jaggies for a given resolution of the jpg file)? (I'm currently
using Arial.)

Secondarily, for a given image resolution, should I use a graphics format
other than jpg to get the best font results when imported into Word?

Thanks,
Don Culp

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Don Culp

I have tried both TIFF and JPG at the same resolution (240 dpi, as indicated
by the graphics software (Xara Xtreme)). If anything, the JPG looks slightly
better in Word.

I should have mentioned that these reports will be emailed to clients so
_very_ high quality is not required (i.e., not like a brochure) -- I only
need acceptable "business" quality.

Don Culp

news