Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
K 49

Default Multiple Page document - links / shortcuts ?

I have a document with 150 pages and I would like to set up a "Back to Page
1" link on each page....I am sure there must be a simple way of doings this.
I have already set up a TOC with Headings to get from page 1 to the
appropriate page but now want a link on each page to get back to the front
page.

I am a new user to Word 2000 and your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cooz

Hi K 49,

There is no simple way of inserting a link like this on each page. You also
wouldn't want one because if you type any text in front of it, there is no
way of knowing where your links may end up.

The only _simple_ way to insert such a link on each page in one step would
be to include it in the header - where it cannot be reached easily.

Why don't you record a macro in your document that takes you back to page 1
(use Edit | Go to...) and assign the macro to a toolbar button? Save every
change in your document, and there you are.

Success,
Cooz
--
PS: If this is a satisfying answer to your question and you're logged in via
the Microsoft site, please click Yes to "Did this post answer the question?".

"K 49" wrote:

I have a document with 150 pages and I would like to set up a "Back to Page
1" link on each page....I am sure there must be a simple way of doings this.
I have already set up a TOC with Headings to get from page 1 to the
appropriate page but now want a link on each page to get back to the front
page.

I am a new user to Word 2000 and your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

As Cooz says, there's no practical way to do this. However, you might check
to see whether Word 2000 has the Go to TOC command (I'm afraid it was
probably introduced in Word 2002). Open Tools | Customize, and, on the
Commands tab, select the All Commands category. Scroll down to
GotoTableOfContents and (if you find it) drag it to a toolbar. This toolbar
button will not travel with the document, however. If you are sending a
template with the document, the toolbar customization can be saved in the
template.

"K 49" K wrote in message
I have a document with 150 pages and I would like to set up a "Back to

Page
1" link on each page....I am sure there must be a simple way of doings

this.
I have already set up a TOC with Headings to get from page 1 to the
appropriate page but now want a link on each page to get back to the front
page.

I am a new user to Word 2000 and your help would be most appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Stan Brown

Mon, 20 Feb 2006 04:39:33 -0800 from "?B?SyA0OQ==?=" K 49
@discussions.microsoft.com:
I have a document with 150 pages and I would like to set up a "Back to Page
1" link on each page....I am sure there must be a simple way of doings this.

That link already exists -- it's the Ctrl-Home key combination.

Rather than reinvent the wheel, it might be better to train users in
what's already available. Then they can use a common technique for
every document.

http://OakRoadSystems.com/