Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Rick Duley Rick Duley is offline

Default Displaying file name and path in footer

Thanks Graham

We aren't there yet.

I inserted the 'Page X of Y' field from 'Building Blocks Organizer', not
manually as you suggest. My original query was (and is) how to get the
filename and path in a similar fashion.

I did try the manual insertion of {Filename \p} into my template but that
just inserts 'Document 2' into the footer of a document created from the
template. Not even a path.

Do you, does anyone, have any further suggestions?

All assistance appreciated
--
Rick Duley
Perth,
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Save the file first; then issue the Print Preview command (Office Button,
Print, Print Preview, Close Print Preview to update the FILENAME field with
the \p switch. You may wish to add the Print Preview button to your template
(not the to the default Word.qat) so all your users will have it readily
available.

"Rick Duley" wrote:

Thanks Graham

We aren't there yet.

I inserted the 'Page X of Y' field from 'Building Blocks Organizer', not
manually as you suggest. My original query was (and is) how to get the
filename and path in a similar fashion.

I did try the manual insertion of {Filename \p} into my template but that
just inserts 'Document 2' into the footer of a document created from the
template. Not even a path.

Do you, does anyone, have any further suggestions?

All assistance appreciated
--
Rick Duley
Perth,
Western Australia 6006 .-_|\
http://www.freewebs.com/rickduley/ / \
aussie : 0409 106 049 perth *_.-._/
o''''seas : +61 409 106 049 v

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Alternatively, you can insert the following Microsoft-supplied macro in the
template so that every time the document is opened (excluding when it is
initially created) all fields in all stories in the document are updated:

Sub AutoOpen()
'
' AutoOpen Macro
' Macro created date by username
'

Dim aStory As Range
Dim aField As Field

For Each aStory In ActiveDocument.StoryRanges

For Each aField In aStory.Fields
aField.Update
Next aField

Next aStory

End Sub

Re inserting macros, see http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm
"Rick Duley" wrote:

Thanks Graham

We aren't there yet.

I inserted the 'Page X of Y' field from 'Building Blocks Organizer', not
manually as you suggest. My original query was (and is) how to get the
filename and path in a similar fashion.

I did try the manual insertion of {Filename \p} into my template but that
just inserts 'Document 2' into the footer of a document created from the
template. Not even a path.

Do you, does anyone, have any further suggestions?

All assistance appreciated
--
Rick Duley
Perth,
Western Australia 6006 .-_|\
http://www.freewebs.com/rickduley/ / \
aussie : 0409 106 049 perth *_.-._/
o''''seas : +61 409 106 049 v

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wendy Wendy is offline

Hi Rick, While in the footer, make sure the Header/Footer toolbar is visible,
select the Insert Auto Text drop down arrow and make your selection.