Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Print Mail Merge Data source list

I enter a list of names into letters from forms that I receive using
the first and last name fields. After I have done this I need to
produce a list, to use as a register of all the names in my data
source. Currently I retype all the names from the forms but I
wondered whether I could print the data source list as this would save
me having to retype or whether there was any other way to use the data
list.

I have searched word and google but can't find the answer.

Thank you
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

I enter a list of names into letters from forms that I receive using
the first and last name fields. After I have done this I need to
produce a list, to use as a register of all the names in my data
source. Currently I retype all the names from the forms but I
wondered whether I could print the data source list as this would save
me having to retype or whether there was any other way to use the data
list.

It's not exactly clear what you have. And you haven't mentioned the
version of Word, but...

I think what you're looking for you can achieve by setting up a
DIRECTORY (or CATALOG, if this is Word 2000 or earlier) type of mail
merge. Mail merge offers you four types: letters, envelopes, labels and
directory (or catalog). You can insert a table in the main merge
document with one row, and as many columns as you have fields (up to
63). Put a mergefield for each data field in a column. Execute the merge
to a new document. Insert a row at the top and type in the field names.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That is exactly it thank you - I work in a school so I usually have at
least 99 names to enter and this way it will save so much time.

On Wed, 03 May 2006 20:23:32 +0200, Cindy M -WordMVP-
wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

On Wed, 3 May 2006 16:23:58 -0500, "Suzanne S. Barnhill"
wrote:

In addition, a data source is just a table, and you can open it directly and
print it as you would any other table.

Hi Suzanne

I have tried to open it but I just get a page of rubbish and if I open
the datasource in the mailmerge there is no option to print.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi Suzanne,

In addition, a data source is just a table, and you can open it directly and
print it as you would any other table.

Not in Word 2002 or 2003...

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M -WordMVP-

I have tried to open it but I just get a page of rubbish and if I open
the datasource in the mailmerge there is no option to print.

Can you tell me what I am doing wrong?

You haven't done anything wrong. Suzanne hasn't really taken a "deep"
look at mail merge since Word 2002/2003 came out... If you use the tools
Word offers you to create a data source, in these versions Word
generates a *.mdb file, which is, in essence, and Access databank. But
you don't want to try opening and editing it in Access if you want to
continue using Word's tools!

Cindy Meister

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

That's the explanation, then; I never use Word's tools to produce data
sources: I create them manually as tables. Since I often need to print the
data source for client approval before executing a merge, this works best
for me. It also makes it very easy (for me) to edit and sort the data.