XianProf

Default How do I sum up 2 fields in Word 2003 Mail Merge?

I ran into this same issue, but when I used this formula, I got a !Syntax
Error, - field result. To make sure I had the fields typed in properly, I
got rid of just the equal sign, and then the field result gave me my 2
numbers with a plus sign between them (but not the actual sum).

Marc

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The syntax is
{ ={ Mergefield Fieldname1 } + { Mergefield Fieldname2 } }
where each pair of brackets is set with CTRL+F9

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it seems
does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can help me.

Thanks

Fuad

Graham Mayor

You still haven't entered the fields correctly. The curly brackets are set
with CTRL+F9 (three pairs) and of course you have to use the field names
from your data file.

If you have two numbers with a plus sign select the lot, press CTRL+F9 to
make the lot into a field and add the = after the first bracket.

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it seems
does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can help me.

Thanks

Fuad

Doug Robbins

Save yourself all of the trouble and get Excel to add the two values
together.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it seems
does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can help me.

Thanks

Fuad

XianProf

I considered that, but then I got to thinking that I SHOULD be able to do
this in Word, and it's always possible I may need this to work in the future,
so I would really like to see this done.

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it seems
does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can help me.

Thanks

Fuad

Doug Robbins

If you have two mergefields

Fieldone and Fieldtwo

insert a + sign between them so that you have

Fieldone + Fieldtwo

Then select them both and press Ctrl+F9 so that you have

{ Fieldone + Fieldtwo }

Then insert an = sign between the { and so that you have

{ =Fieldone + Fieldtwo }

Then press Alt+F9 a couple of times to toggle off the display of the field
codes.

consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Doug Robbins" wrote:

Save yourself all of the trouble and get Excel to add the two values
together.

interested. Questions sent directly to me will only be answered on a
paid
consulting basis.

Hope this helps,
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Fuad wrote:
Dear All,

I am trying to sum up two fields in Word Mail Merge, but it seems
does not work. Does anyone have got any idea that can help me.

Thanks

Fuad

XianProf

Well, it ends up that I was doing everything correctly in Word (that was
being advised here). On a hunch, I went back to my source file. My data was
formatted by Excel as currency. When I removed the data format in Excel and
reopened my Word doc, a quick F9 gave me the right figures. Apparently,
Word's mail merge can't perform operations on pre-formatted data.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Then press F9 to update.