Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kraftsims Kraftsims is offline

Default combining documents

I'm working on a manual for my company. I've generated all these forms in
different word documents. The manual is divided into 4 tabs/sections. I have
anywhere from 2 to 12 or so documents in each section/tab.

I had this idea that printing would be easier if I were to combine each
section from multiple individual documents into one long document per
section.

How can I combine a series of documents?
Anyone ever done this type of thing before (manual creation) and any good
tips on commons do's and don'ts?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As long as you haven't used the same Style names with different
formatting in different documents, you can simply use Insert File
(Word2003) or Insert Object Text from File (Word2007) for as many
files as you'd like. Put a Section Break New Page at the start and end
of each file before you Insert it.

On Apr 26, 5:50*pm, kraftsims
wrote:
I'm working on a manual for my company. I've generated all these forms in
different word documents. The manual is divided into 4 tabs/sections. I have
anywhere from 2 to 12 or so documents in each section/tab.

I had this idea that printing would be easier if I were to combine each
section from multiple individual documents into one long document per
section.

How can I combine a series of documents?
Anyone ever done this type of thing before (manual creation) and any good
tips on commons do's and don'ts?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Actually, it should be a *continuous* section break.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote:
I'm working on a manual for my company. I've generated all these forms in
different word documents. The manual is divided into 4 tabs/sections. I have
anywhere from 2 to 12 or so documents in each section/tab.

I had this idea that printing would be easier if I were to combine each
section from multiple individual documents into one long document per
section.

How can I combine a series of documents?
Anyone ever done this type of thing before (manual creation) and any good
tips on commons do's and don'ts?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What does that do to different margin settings? Or even Portrait vs.
Landscape!

wrote:

I'm working on a manual for my company. I've generated all these forms in
different word documents. The manual is divided into 4 tabs/sections. I have
anywhere from 2 to 12 or so documents in each section/tab.

I had this idea that printing would be easier if I were to combine each
section from multiple individual documents into one long document per
section.

How can I combine a series of documents?
Anyone ever done this type of thing before (manual creation) and any good
tips on commons do's and don'ts?

Thanks-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It should work with continuous section breaks; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

Note that I don't pretend to know *why* it works. As explained in the article,
it is unclear if anyone knows... :-)

--

wrote:

I'm working on a manual for my company. I've generated all these forms in
different word documents. The manual is divided into 4 tabs/sections. I have
anywhere from 2 to 12 or so documents in each section/tab.

I had this idea that printing would be easier if I were to combine each
section from multiple individual documents into one long document per
section.

How can I combine a series of documents?
Anyone ever done this type of thing before (manual creation) and any good
tips on commons do's and don'ts?

Thanks-

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hmm, that seems to have last been updated early in the life of
Word2000 ... and that sort of document doesn't seem to use that sort
of chatty style any more!

It should work with continuous section breaks; seehttp://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting/WorkWithSections.htm.