Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Nick Piazza Nick Piazza is offline

Default Paste numbered list without continued numbering

One of the most frustrating things in Word 2007 for me is copying and pasting
numbered lists. When I copy a list that has, say, numbered items 1 and 2,
from one cell of a table into a blank cell of a table, the copied numbered
items become 3 and 4, but I want them to be exact copies (1 and 2). I've
looked at the help on Paste, and none of the topics seemed to help me. How
can I paste a numbered list into a blank table cell, and not have the
numbering continued without having to manually unnumber and renumber this
list?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When pasting numbered items, you are basically adding list items, which is why
the numbering continues. The best approach depends on where you are pasting.

Within table cells, select the number that you want to restart (just click it!)
and then right-click, choosing Restart at 1 (from the context menu).

When pasting in the main body of the document, you should see a Paste Options
button, and you can then choose to Paste as a New list.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP