Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fnichols fnichols is offline

Default Problem with Linked Excel Objects in Word

I have a Word document linked to several Excel tables. Since upgrading from
Office 2003 to 2007, I have run into the following problem:

When a user tries to open the Word doc while another user has the Excel
files open, the Word user is notified, in Excel, that the Excel files are
open and is prompted to select "Read Only", "Notify", or "Cancel" for each
link in the document. I would expect this if I were updating links, there is
no prompting to update the links prior to Excel attempting to open the files.

Here are the steps I have tried, without success:

I have turned off all automatic link updates. I have changed the individual
links from "auto" to "manual", and when that didn't work I changed them to
"locked".

The word and Excel files are all macro enabled; docm and xlsm.

I saved the Word doc in the 2003 format, and the problem went away.

Any help anyone can provide will be greatly appreciated.