Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Default Anyway to remove message about updating links

I have a word document that has numerous links to a spreadsheet and whenever
it is opened it asks the question about "Do you want to update this workbook
with changes made to the other workbook?". Even though I click YES to
"update all linked information" this message is returned for every linked
field??? Is there anyway of making this only come up once on opening? I have
the links set at automatic and have the Update links at open option selected.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The following KB article:

How the behavior of the Word fields changes after you install the Word
update
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330079/en-us

describes how to create a registry key to suppress the message and just have
the links update.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Chris" wrote in message
I have a word document that has numerous links to a spreadsheet and
whenever
it is opened it asks the question about "Do you want to update this
workbook
with changes made to the other workbook?". Even though I click YES to
"update all linked information" this message is returned for every linked
field??? Is there anyway of making this only come up once on opening? I
have
the links set at automatic and have the Update links at open option
selected.

Any help greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Chris

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Chris,

I have a word document that has numerous links to a spreadsheet and whenever
it is opened it asks the question about "Do you want to update this workbook
with changes made to the other workbook?". Even though I click YES to
"update all linked information" this message is returned for every linked
field??? Is there anyway of making this only come up once on opening? I have
the links set at automatic and have the Update links at open option selected.

You should be able to turn this security prompt off completely, if you wish:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330079/

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Chris Chris is offline

Thanks but is there any way of removing the message or only receiving the
message once at opening of the document (currently it is received for every
link in the document - 20 times!) without touching the registry given it is a
networked environment?

Kind regards

Chris

"Cindy M." wrote:

Hi Chris,

I have a word document that has numerous links to a spreadsheet and whenever
it is opened it asks the question about "Do you want to update this workbook
with changes made to the other workbook?". Even though I click YES to
"update all linked information" this message is returned for every linked
field??? Is there anyway of making this only come up once on opening? I have
the links set at automatic and have the Update links at open option selected.

You should be able to turn this security prompt off completely, if you wish:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/330079/

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Chris,

Thanks but is there any way of removing the message or only receiving the
message once at opening of the document (currently it is received for every
link in the document - 20 times!) without touching the registry given it is a
networked environment?

Only by turning off the option for automatically updating links at open.
Tools/Options/General if this is Word 2003 or earlier.