Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD

Default Footnote separator disappeared!!

In my MS WORD 2003 document, all of the sudden, and without me doing anything
but simply writing, I notice that the footnote separator disappeared when I
tried to view it in print layout view. So, I went into Normal and then chose
footnote sepatator. What I saw is this: the separator with 2 questions marks
at the right end: ___________?? I have never seen this. I can not delete
the questions marks. Even when I try to restore the default separator, I
still cannot view it in layout mode.

What in the world is going on here? How can I get the separator back?

Thanks.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

From what you say, I gather that Reset is not helping? Sometimes the
separators acquire strange styles, or strange formatting if Normal has been
modified. It may help to check what style is applied to the separator.

"JD" wrote in message
In my MS WORD 2003 document, all of the sudden, and without me doing

anything
but simply writing, I notice that the footnote separator disappeared when

tried to view it in print layout view. So, I went into Normal and then

chose
footnote sepatator. What I saw is this: the separator with 2 questions

marks
at the right end: ___________?? I have never seen this. I can not

delete
the questions marks. Even when I try to restore the default separator, I
still cannot view it in layout mode.

What in the world is going on here? How can I get the separator back?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JD

Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for your response. But I still have a question:

I am not sure what you means by "...if Normal has been modified." Modified
in what way? I have not done any modufying. Also, you say to check what
"style" is applied to the separator. Well, the only way I know to do this
is: Normal, footnote, separator and then look to the right where the "style"
dropdown tells what "styles." But what is this suppose to tell me?

Thanks

From what you say, I gather that Reset is not helping? Sometimes the

"JD" wrote in message
In my MS WORD 2003 document, all of the sudden, and without me doing

anything
but simply writing, I notice that the footnote separator disappeared when

tried to view it in print layout view. So, I went into Normal and then

chose
footnote sepatator. What I saw is this: the separator with 2 questions

marks
at the right end: ___________?? I have never seen this. I can not

delete
the questions marks. Even when I try to restore the default separator, I
still cannot view it in layout mode.

What in the world is going on here? How can I get the separator back?

Thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you are in the footnote pane, viewing the footnote, with All Footnotes
showing in the dropdown on the footnote pane toolbar, Footnote Text will be
displayed in the Style box on the Formatting toolbar. When you select
Footnote Separator in the footnote pane dropdown, the Style box should show
Normal. I have seen cases where the footnote separator had (don't ask me
how) gotten formatted in some other style. And in some of the letter
templates that came with Word 2.0 (descendants of which I'm still using),
Normal (rather than Body Text) was used for the letter body and had been
given a first-line indent. Not surprisingly, the Footnote Separator also had
a first-line indent. That's the sort of anomaly I was referring to.

Under the circumstances, however (especially since Reset doesn't fix the
problem), I suspect that either your document or your template has become
corrupted. See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/CorruptDoc.htm.

"JD" wrote in message
Dear Suzanne,

Thanks for your response. But I still have a question:

I am not sure what you means by "...if Normal has been modified."

Modified
in what way? I have not done any modufying. Also, you say to check what
"style" is applied to the separator. Well, the only way I know to do this
is: Normal, footnote, separator and then look to the right where the

"style"
dropdown tells what "styles." But what is this suppose to tell me?

Thanks

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

From what you say, I gather that Reset is not helping? Sometimes the
separators acquire strange styles, or strange formatting if Normal has

been
modified. It may help to check what style is applied to the separator.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.