ronny

Default how do i embed a date so it doesn't update next time doc is used?

I want to embed a date in a template so that when the template is opened the
current date appears. That's the easy part for me. However, after the
template has been saved as a doc, I don't want the date to update to whatever
the then current date is the next time the doc is opened. In other words, I
don't want the original doc date to be lost.

This is to be used in a fax covesheet template used by our office on a daily
basis.
Stefan Blom

Your date is a field which updates to the current date each time the
document is opened. You have to change this field to one that displays
the creation date of the file.

Open your template as a document, via FileOpen. Press Alt+F9 to display
field codes. The current, updating, field will display similar to
{ DATE }. Change the DATE part to CREATEDATE (just type it in!), press
F9 to update and then press Alt+F9 again. Save and close your template.

This will give you the desired result for future documents created from
the template, but it won't affect any existing documents. For those you
need to repeat the instructions above.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP