Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathieC KathieC is offline

Default How can I save a created datasource to another location?

I received help with identifying our issue with datasources and merge
documents not being linked. The issue was that when saving the datasource
the shared drive was not selected for the location. When we go to the
datasource we are not seeing any place to re-save the datasource (to another
location). Please advise.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

What I suggest you do is:
a. open your Mail merge Main Document
b. discover the name of the data source (e.g. in Edit recipients
c. convert the Document type to "Normal Word Document". That disconnects
the document from its data source, but leaves the data source there on disk.
It leaves all the fields in the document intact, but you will lose any
sort/filter options you have applied, the merge document type, and the merge
destination. So you may want to jot down what they are.
d. Use Windows Explorer to move the data source to the place you want it
e. re-open the Mail merge Main Document, and reselect the data source
f. re-apply any sort/data criteria and so on.

If you have to do a lot of these you could consider using a couple of macros
to automate some of the work - you'd need to look at, or save the values of

ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.Name
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.ConnectString
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DataSource.QueryString
and possibly
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.DocumentType
and
also the merge destination.
and so on (I can go into more detail but not right now).

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"KathieC" wrote in message
I received help with identifying our issue with datasources and merge
documents not being linked. The issue was that when saving the datasource
the shared drive was not selected for the location. When we go to the
datasource we are not seeing any place to re-save the datasource (to
another
location). Please advise.
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
KathieC KathieC is offline

Thank you - again....I probably should have been able to figure this one out
- overthinking it!
Have a great week!