Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jae Jae is offline

Default Novice needs help with cosolidating in mailmerge document

I have a data table which contains multiple records for the same individual.
Is it possible in the mail merge process to send the one individual one
letter containing different types of information? For instance, I'd like to
send a mail merge letter to Mr. X containing purchase information he has made
throughout the year. How do I go about making sure Word does not create
multiple merged letters for Mr. X?

Confusing? Hopefully not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi Jae,

See: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=211303 for the principles.

However, if your data source is an Excel file, I'd suggest basing your code on the following (which will work the same with other
data sources too) for the second example:

{QUOTE{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 {SET Place ""}}"{IF{MERGEFIELD City} {Place} "{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 "" {QUOTE 12}}{MERGEFIELD City}{SET Place
{MERGEFIELD City}}ENTER
ENTER
"}{MERGEFIELD Employee}TAB{MERGEFIELD Sales}ENTER
"}
ENTER
or
{QUOTE{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 {SET Place ""}}"{IF{MERGEFIELD City} {Place} "{IF{MERGESEQ}= 1 "" "
----------------------------Page Break--------------------------------
"}{MERGEFIELD City}{SET Place {MERGEFIELD City}}ENTER
ENTER
"}{MERGEFIELD Employee}TAB{MERGEFIELD Sales}ENTER
"}ENTER

With the field coded provided in all the examples in the KB article, an extra line is inserted between records for the same location
when using an Excel workbook as the data source.

--
Cheers
macropod

"Jae" wrote in message news
I have a data table which contains multiple records for the same individual.
Is it possible in the mail merge process to send the one individual one
letter containing different types of information? For instance, I'd like to
send a mail merge letter to Mr. X containing purchase information he has made
throughout the year. How do I go about making sure Word does not create
multiple merged letters for Mr. X?

Confusing? Hopefully not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Jae Jae is offline

Thanks for your response. I keyed in your example, but unfortunately I
still can't get it to consolidate the employee/sales information onto one
letter. What do you think I could be wrong? I'm using Word 2003, creating a
mail merge directory.

Thanks again.

Jae

"Jae" wrote in message news
I have a data table which contains multiple records for the same individual.
Is it possible in the mail merge process to send the one individual one
letter containing different types of information? For instance, I'd like to
send a mail merge letter to Mr. X containing purchase information he has made
throughout the year. How do I go about making sure Word does not create
multiple merged letters for Mr. X?

Confusing? Hopefully not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Did you use Ctrl+F9 to insert each pair of field delimiters {}?

You might also take a look at :

http://cornell.veplan.net/article.aspx?&a=3815

as it gives an explanation of the function of each part of the field
construction.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"macropod" wrote:

[...]

"Jae" wrote in message
news
I have a data table which contains multiple records for the same
individual.
Is it possible in the mail merge process to send the one individual one
letter containing different types of information? For instance, I'd
like to
send a mail merge letter to Mr. X containing purchase information he
has made
throughout the year. How do I go about making sure Word does not
create
multiple merged letters for Mr. X?

Confusing? Hopefully not.

Thanks in advance for any assistance you may be able to provide.

Can I mailmerge a publisher document with a word document? DP Mailmerge 1 February 19th 07 08:04 PM
mailmerge document Wayne Mailmerge 3 December 28th 06 06:22 PM
Are tools available to easily design tables for a novice? Wordtablehelp2313 Tables 2 October 17th 05 05:22 AM
Protect mailmerge document BillM Mailmerge 1 June 9th 05 12:58 PM
Barcode in Mailmerge document fig000 Mailmerge 4 March 24th 05 08:01 PM