Patrick Germain

Default Help ! Applying a style to a selection changes the style itself

Hi all
I'm facing a weird problem.
When a try to apply a style to a selected text, the style is changed with
the text attributes, just like the 'update to match selection' feature !!!
(it should be the other way around)
This is a problem related to user settings since it does not appear with
other users on the same machine.
I tried to delete a few registry setting but to no avail.

Does somebody know how to fix this ?
Thanks

Patrick Germain

Margaret Aldis

The usual cause for these effects is that the style is set to "Automatically
Update" so I would check this first (from the Modify dialog on the style).

I can't think of a user setting that would do this, but you might want to
try turning Tools Options Edit "Prompt to update style" on to see if
that makes any difference (it should then ask you whether you want to update
to match selection), then turn it off and see if you get back to proper
behaviour. Also make sure that you don't have AutoFormat As You Type
settings confusing the issue.

Probably worth running Help Detect and Repair - especially since you have
poked around in the Registry g.

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"Patrick Germain" Patrick wrote in
message ...
Hi all
I'm facing a weird problem.
When a try to apply a style to a selected text, the style is changed with
the text attributes, just like the 'update to match selection' feature !!!
(it should be the other way around)
This is a problem related to user settings since it does not appear with
other users on the same machine.
I tried to delete a few registry setting but to no avail.

Does somebody know how to fix this ?
Thanks

Patrick Germain

Patrick Germain

Hi Margaret
Thanks for the reply
- The 'prompt to update style' has no effect. I'm not prompted when the
style is changed
- All 'my Automatically update' are checked off
- Using the Detect and Repair does not work either.

But I did some tests and here are few things...
* The problem occurs only with the Heading styles : if I want to change the
style of my text to Heading 1 for example, the text style is not changed and
a new style "Heading,1" is created with the attributes of the text I wanted
to change.
(Same thing with Heading 2 ,3 ...)

* If I create a new style or use other styles it works fine
Any idea ?

"Margaret Aldis" wrote:

[...]

Stefan Blom

"Patrick Germain" wrote:
* The problem occurs only with the Heading styles : if I want to
change the style of my text to Heading 1 for example, the text style
is not
changed and a new style "Heading,1" is created with the attributes
of the text I wanted to change.
(Same thing with Heading 2 ,3 ...)

When you try to apply the style, is something selected? Note that when
you apply a style you should either select the entire paragraph or
have nothing selected (so that you see a blinking insertion point in
the paragraph).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP