Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
td td is offline

Default Mail merge from access Database

Hi everybdy,

I'm trying to create a mailmerge from data in an MS Access Database. I've
come across this problem before but someone else solved it :-(.

When I've browsed and the dialogue box has come up, I'm expecting it to ask
me which query I want to select before moving on to select recipients. It
doesn't it goes straight to Select Table.

At my last job, a couple of years ago, a colleague had the correct set up
and our computer support team were able to sort me out using that
information. It was something to do with the versions of Word and Access but
probably much more complicated than that!

I'm using Word Version 11.5604.5606
Access Version 11.5614.5606

Those version numbers look spookily similar so I'm guessing nothing to do
with versions. Maybe setup???

As you can see - I need help!

Most grateful if anyone could

Cheers
--
TD
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

By default, Word 2003 (which is what you are using) uses a thing called OLE
DB to connect to the Access database. In that case, as you say, it displays
a dialog box titled Select Table. however, both Access tables and Access
Queries are listed in that dialog box, although Queries are described as
Views.

So you /may/ be able to select your query in there.

However, OLE DB does not "see" all types of table and query. For example, it
does not "see" queries that have parameters, or queries that use
user-defined Access VBA functions.

To get the most complete list of queries (and indeed, to see a cler
separation between "Tables" and "Queries", you have to change the way that
Word connects to Access.

To do that,
a. check Word-Tools-Options-general-Confirm conversions at open,
b. go through the process of connecting to your database again.
c. After you have selected the database in "Select Data Source" and clicked
Open, you should see an additional dialog box. Select the "MS Access
Databases via DDE" option and proceed.

This requires that you have Access on your system (OLE DB does not) and
suffers from some limitations, but is probably what you need. NB, if you are
using a Paramter Query as a data source, the dialog box that prompts for the
parameters will probably pop up behind your Word window, in which case it
can look as if Word is not connecting. Use e.g. Alt-Tab to go and look for
it.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"TD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
td td is offline

Thank you so much Peter,

I'm so glad I asked here :-) I've learned a little bit more.

Could you point me to a website where I could learn more about these sort of
things?

Thank you again

--
TD

"TD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Kinda depends on what you're looking for :-)

It's always a good idea to open up Word Help and try to cover the ground.
Personally I prefer to start from the table of contents. Even having some
idea of what is to be found in there can be useful. If you have Word 2007,
some of the stuff on Fields etc. is a bit more sparse than it should be, but
in fact the articles on connectivity are much better than previous versions.
Just don't expect MS documentation to cover /problems/

Personally I find searching the Usenet groups is still useful, although it
helps to have an inkling of what you're looking for. I usually use
groups.google.com for that. On the MailMerge topic you may find lots of
useful articles (the Google Groups search system lets you search an
individual group) - over the past few years the "regular posters" have been
Cindy Meister/Cindy M, Doug Robbins, Graham Mayor, macropod and myself,
(sorry if I forgot anyone) but there are plenty of other contributions as
well. My own tips site at http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk needs a bit of work but
has pointers to other sites including Cindy's and Graham's at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/links.htm

For a small amount of info. on the DDE/ODBC/OLE DB thing you could do worse
than start with my page at

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003b.htm

- that page is concerned with Excel connections but some of the info. is
applicable to Access as well. I still have every intention of expanding the
pages on connectivity but not yet :-)

If you happen to read German the book by MS Press Deutschland by Cindy,
others and myself is IMO one of a very small number of books that cover Word
well from a technical perspective. e.g. try www.amazon.de and search for
Meister Jamieson

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"TD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

And of course, http://word.mvps.org/

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"TD" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
td td is offline

Thank you again Peter, very much appreciated that you have taken the time to
answer and also that you covered everything so well even down to the "shy"
dialogue boxes hiding behind the Word window.

THANKS

--
TD