Dana W. Ciardi

Default Table addition

Using Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office 2003 (Word 2003).

Is there any way that the default for the AutoSum in a table can be changed to SUM(ABOVE) rather than SUM(LEFT)? I doubt that many people sum left; I would think most people sum above, yet Word defaults to SUM(LEFT)?

Also - is there anyway you can put "Formula" on the toolbar? Even the Tables and Borders toolbar doesn't have "Formula" on it, mandating that you click Table/then Formula EVERY time you want to use it..... (I know I can do a macro - but I prefer visibly seeing and clicking "Formula" on my toolbar.)

Greg Maxey

Dana,

I have the same configuration as you. If I have numbers in a cell above a blank cell and numbers to the left of the blank cell and then click on the AutoSum icon Word inserts a sum(above) equation. If there is no number in the cell above then Word inserts a sum(lelft) equation.

You can create a formula icon on any toolbar you want. Right click your menu bar and select customize. Click the commands tab, in the Categories window select "all commands" in the Commands window scroll and find "TableFormula" drag it and drop it on a toolbar of your choice. After you have dropped it, right click it and customize it to your liking.

--
Greg Maxey/Word MVP
See:
"Dana W. Ciardi" wrote in message ...
Using Windows XP Professional and Microsoft Office 2003 (Word 2003).

Is there any way that the default for the AutoSum in a table can be changed to SUM(ABOVE) rather than SUM(LEFT)? I doubt that many people sum left; I would think most people sum above, yet Word defaults to SUM(LEFT)?

Also - is there anyway you can put "Formula" on the toolbar? Even the Tables and Borders toolbar doesn't have "Formula" on it, mandating that you click Table/then Formula EVERY time you want to use it..... (I know I can do a macro - but I prefer visibly seeing and clicking "Formula" on my toolbar.)

Dana W. Ciardi

Greg - thanks!! Do you know I NEVER saw that ALL Commands before!! Why can't Word alphabetize everything???

I don't know about your list - but my "All Commands" list goes from "FormShading" to "FrameProperties" - and NO "Formula." I even looked at every single item in the l - o - n - g list - thinking it might be called something else - nada! Not there!

Of course they have EVERYTHING else on that list - why can't they have SUM(ABOVE) and FORMULA???

Sometimes Excel is overkill and all you need to do is to sum a column of numbers (in Word).

Oh, well.............

"Greg Maxey" wrote in message ...
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Dana,

See if you have a command named 'Autosum'.

=======
"Dana W. Ciardi" wrote in message ...
Greg - thanks!! Do you know I NEVER saw that ALL Commands before!! Why can't Word alphabetize everything???

I don't know about your list - but my "All Commands" list goes from "FormShading" to "FrameProperties" - and NO "Formula." I even
looked at every single item in the l - o - n - g list - thinking it might be called something else - nada! Not there!

Of course they have EVERYTHING else on that list - why can't they have SUM(ABOVE) and FORMULA???

Sometimes Excel is overkill and all you need to do is to sum a column of numbers (in Word).

Oh, well.............
--
Let us know if this helped you,

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Office 2003 Editions explained
http://www.microsoft.com/uk/office/editions.mspx

Dana W. Ciardi

Thanks, Suzanne and Bob:

I WAS looking for the wrong term - finally found TABLEformat......

Also found autosum - I use that a lot. BUT - it also defaults to
SUM(LEFT).....

Why doesn't WORD have a button for SUM(ABOVE)????????

Dana

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
[...]

You can easily make one.

1. Insert the formula anywhere (best in a table--would probably produce an
error message outside a table).

2. Select it and save it as an AutoText entry.

3. From here, you could of course insert it just as you would any AutoText
entry (with F3 or with AutoComplete if you give it a sensible name), but you
can also create a button if you really want to.

4. Open Tools | Customize.

5. On the Commands tab, select the AutoText category.

6. Find your SUM(ABOVE) AutoText entry in the Commands list and drag it to a
toolbar.

7. By default it will display text and won't have an icon, but you can
assign one of Word's built-in icons (right-click on the button and choose
Change Button Image) or design one yourself (right-click and choose Edit
Button Image). You'll also need to change the button display to "Default
Style" (which for toolbar buttons is an image only).

[...]

Greg

Dana,

In both my Word versions (Word2000 and Word2003). The result of
AutoSum is dependent on what values are in adjacent cells.

If I insert a 3 x 3 table enter 2 in C1 and C2, 3 in A3 and B3. If I
put the cursor in C3 and click AutoSum the result is 4 (or SumAbove).
If I delete the formula in C3, remove the 2 in C2. The insert the
AutoSum in C3 the result is 6 (or sum left).

Yours doesn't work this way?

Greg

You can create a button:

Assign the following code to a new toolbar icon:

Sub InsertSumAbove()
Selection.Fields.Add Range:=Selection.Range, Type:=wdFieldEmpty, Text:=
_
"= sum(Above)", PreserveFormatting:=True
End Sub