Nickyvan

Default How do I set up comma's as numbers separators in Word

I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).
Stefan Blom

You can do this in Control Panel.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Nickyvan" wrote in message
I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and

parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Tmlja3l2YW4=?=,

I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).

1. Which version of Word?

2. Which version of Windows?

3. Which regional (country) settings do you have defined in Windows?

4. In what context are you wanting to use numbers formatted in this manner? In
calculations? Formfields? something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

To clarify, you can use Control Panel | Regional Options to specify what
characters are used as decimal points and thousands separators, but this
does not affect formatting in Word. In order to force numbers into a mask
that includes commas, dollar or percent signs, or other such characters, you
need to be using a field of some sort with a formatting switch. Ordinary
tables (unlike Excel spreadsheets) don't offer this feature.

"Nickyvan" wrote in message
I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and

parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).

Stefan Blom

But note that other characters specified in Regional Options can
indeed affect your documents. I'm thinking of the list separator
character, which is used by Word when you create a table of contents
from custom styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To clarify, you can use Control Panel | Regional Options to specify

what
characters are used as decimal points and thousands separators, but

this
does not affect formatting in Word. In order to force numbers into a

mask
that includes commas, dollar or percent signs, or other such

characters, you
need to be using a field of some sort with a formatting switch.

Ordinary
tables (unlike Excel spreadsheets) don't offer this feature.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Nickyvan" wrote in message
I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and

parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).

Nickyvan

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP in English (UK) Regional Settings. I
changed the defaults in Regional Settings as my first step in accomplishing
my requirements in Word Tables. This is where it was changed it for Lotus
and Word Perfect programs. However, this does not seem to work for any
version of Word. I work for an accounting firm and use tables for
calculations within word documents.

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?Tmlja3l2YW4=?=,

I want to set up a number format to use commas as separators and parenthases
(instead of minus sign) as default, i.e. (1,200,000).

1. Which version of Word?

2. Which version of Windows?

3. Which regional (country) settings do you have defined in Windows?

4. In what context are you wanting to use numbers formatted in this manner? In
calculations? Formfields? something else?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Tmlja3l2YW4=?=,

I am using Word 2003 on Windows XP in English (UK) Regional Settings. I
changed the defaults in Regional Settings as my first step in accomplishing
my requirements in Word Tables. This is where it was changed it for Lotus
and Word Perfect programs. However, this does not seem to work for any
version of Word. I work for an accounting firm and use tables for
calculations within word documents.

OK, this should work. Just tried it here, and no problems with recognizing the
comma as the decimal separator, as long as it's not also declared in Windows
as the argument separator (which should be a semicolon, in this case).

In an actual calculation field, however, I do have to add a numeric formatting
switch to force the parentheses: