JBrooks

Default Word automatically inserts page break when printing

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone can help. I have constructed documents that use
"Caption" to insert a table name and then "Cross-reference" to insert the
reference to the table in the text. Everything seems fine until I go to
print. When I print (including paper or converting to a .pdf), a page break
is created automatically at the beginning of the Table cross-reference. For
example, I would typically have a sentence that says.

"These results are shown in Table 5."
(Table 5 would be a text field that is a cross-reference to the table).

When I print (without changing anything in the document) the text is
converted to:
"These results are shown in [page break]
Table 5."

I have had this problem with every document that I have created
cross-references in and do not know how to fix this bug. Does anyone have
any suggestions? I do need to keep the cross-references in. It will print
fine if I convert the field text to regular text.

Thanks

Margaret Aldis

Usual reason for this is that you've inserted a manual page break at the
start of "Table 5" and this is getting incorporated into the cross reference
bookmark.

To fix, firstly, don't use manual page breaks - use the paragraph "Page
Break Before" setting (you could add this to the caption style if all your
tables start on new pages).

Secondly, train yourself never to insert at the beginning of a paragraph -
put the cursor at the end of the previous paragraph and press Enter, then
type or paste, then remove any extra paragraph end if necessary. This
problem with bookmarks and cross references also applies to headings, and
believe me it is quite feasible to get half a book to reappear in a cross
reference if you get this wrong when reorganising chapters ;-)

--
Margaret Aldis - Microsoft Word MVP

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

JBrooks

Hi,

I tried the first solution (using "Page Break Before") and when I print it
moves "Table 5" to the next line (at least it is on the same page).

I'm not sure I understand the way to deal with the beginning of the
paragraph issue as we have large documents with multiple tables that need to
be referenced. I tried a few different permutations and couldn't get it to
work. Any other ideas?

Thanks again for all of your help,
Jennifer

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

You'll have to use "Page break before" (found on the Line and Page
Breaks tab of FormatParagraph) *and* remove the manual page breaks.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

JBrooks

Hi,

When I use "Page Break Before" and remove the manual page breaks, the entire
paragraph moves when I print (eg, the text before the reference). When I put
a hard return in the cross-reference moves to the next line when I print.

Thanks

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

That is what you would expect, since "Page break before" applies to an
entire paragraph.

Go to the previous paragraph and press ENTER. Into the empty paragraph
thus created cut and paste the text which is now in the same paragraph
as the caption, but shouldn't be.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

Margaret Aldis

I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean by "the entire paragraph moves
when I print". Perhaps you have swept other text into the hidden bookmark,
and the update fields on print is showing this?

To get a hold of this, it's helpful to use Tools Options View to turn
field code shading on "Always" so you see the full cross reference shaded.
Right click and update field to see what you'll get when you print - if you
see stuff other than the Table reference shaded, or if updating introduces
blank lines etc., this is being picked up from the bookmark.

You can see what exactly is contained in the hidden bookmark as follows:

Put your cursor in the referenced caption

Insert Bookmark to open Bookmark dialog

In the dialog, check Hidden bookmarks (if already checked, turn off then on
again). You should see a bookmark starting _Ref highlighted. Use Go To
button to select the extent of the bookmark.

--

"JBrooks" wrote in message
[...]

JBrooks

Hi,

Thank you both for your help! I finally got it to work. I always have the
field code shaded but the full cross reference wasn't shaded so I was
confused. When I used the Bookmark method, I was able to figure out what was
actually included in the field codes and then copied the paragraph that
included field text and deleted the original text and that seemed to work.
It would be helpful to see the ability to edit the document with the bookmark
dialog box open.