Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Kranek Kranek is offline

Default Page numbers all the same

I am using Word 2007 to produce documents with uniform formating. A template
was created for me with line art and line numbering down the left side. A
header includes the page number and the document title. A footer contains
the same line of text on every page. The template was created using Word
2003. When I open the template with 2007 the page numbering is page 1 on
every page. When I change it on page 2, the line art and numbering down the
side disappear. What is happening? I have tried working in compatability
mode and the same thing happens.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: Page numbers all the same

It sounds like the issue may be related to the formatting of the page numbers in your document. Here are some steps you can try to resolve the issue:
  1. Double-click on the header of the document to open the Header & Footer Tools tab.
  2. Click on the "Page Number" button in the "Header & Footer" section of the ribbon.
  3. Select "Format Page Numbers" from the drop-down menu.
  4. In the "Page Number Format" dialog box, select the desired format for your page numbers (e.g. "1, 2, 3..." or "i, ii, iii...").
  5. Click "OK" to apply the changes to your page numbers.

If the above steps do not resolve the issue, you may need to check the formatting of your template. Here are some additional steps you can try:
  1. Open the template in Word 2007.
  2. Click on the "Page Layout" tab in the ribbon.
  3. Click on the "Page Setup" button in the "Page Setup" section of the ribbon.
  4. In the "Page Setup" dialog box, select the "Layout" tab.
  5. Check the settings for "Different first page" and "Different odd and even pages". Make sure these options are not selected.
  6. Click "OK" to apply the changes to your template.

If you are still experiencing issues with your page numbering, it may be helpful to consult with the person who created the original template to see if they have any additional insights or suggestions.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Whoever created the template for you (doubtless a designer with no actual
knowledge of how Word works) presumably just typed in a page number instead
of inserting a { PAGE } field (you can confirm this by pressing Alt+F9; if
you still see 1 instead of { PAGE }, then it's a typed number). If you then
try to insert a page number as a building block, that Page Number building
block replaces the existing header. You have two options:

1. Use Insert | Page Number | Current Position to insert just the page
number at a designated place in the header.

2. Select the existing page number and type PAGE to replace it. Then select
PAGE and press Ctrl+F9 to convert it to a field and F9 to update.

http://word.mvps.org