Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ahdoj ahdoj is offline

Default can't click out of table

I did something to my table that made it impossible to click below the table
to go on with text entry (lost my paragraph mark). I was able to resume work
only by deleting the table and pasting it after I had pressed the Enter key.
First, how did I create the situation and, secondly, is there a more
efficient "fix"? Thanks
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: can't click out of table

It sounds like you accidentally removed the paragraph mark that separates the table from the text below it. This can happen if you delete the paragraph mark while editing the table or if you copy and paste the table without including the paragraph mark.

To fix this issue, you can try the following steps:
  1. Click anywhere inside the table to select it.
  2. Go to the "Layout" tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. In the "Table" group, click on "Properties".
  4. In the "Table Properties" dialog box, click on the "Row" tab.
  5. Under "Row options", make sure that "Allow row to break across pages" is checked.
  6. Click "OK" to close the dialog box.

This should allow you to click below the table and continue typing. If this doesn't work, you can try inserting a new paragraph mark by pressing "Enter" at the end of the last row of the table. This should create a new paragraph below the table where you can resume typing.

If you want to avoid this issue in the future, make sure to always include the paragraph mark when copying and pasting tables. You can do this by selecting the entire table (including the paragraph mark) before copying and pasting.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Some weird things can happen if the Text Wrapping for the table is set to
around under the Properties item on the Tables menu.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ahdoj" wrote in message
I did something to my table that made it impossible to click below the
table
to go on with text entry (lost my paragraph mark). I was able to resume
work
only by deleting the table and pasting it after I had pressed the Enter
key.
First, how did I create the situation and, secondly, is there a more
efficient "fix"? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ahdoj ahdoj is offline

Thanks for the quick response, but Text Wrapping is set to none. I think I
accidentally deleted the paragraph mark, but couldn't get it re-entered
without going through the steps I mentioned.

ahdoj

"ahdoj" wrote in message
I did something to my table that made it impossible to click below the
table
to go on with text entry (lost my paragraph mark). I was able to resume
work
only by deleting the table and pasting it after I had pressed the Enter
key.
First, how did I create the situation and, secondly, is there a more
efficient "fix"? Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

I did something to my table that made it impossible to click below the table
to go on with text entry (lost my paragraph mark).

I've had this happen to me. There is a trick (something like Ctrl+click)
you can use *inside* the table to transport the cursor to after the
table. Unfortunately the brain cell that contained this information
expired a few months ago.

Ask me again if you don't find the answer - its on a disk somewhere
inside IBM, and if I search hard enough I'll find it eventually.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

Ask me again if you don't find the answer - its on a disk somewhere
inside IBM, and if I search hard enough I'll find it eventually.

I didn't find it in a brief search within IBM, but the answer may be
Ctrl+End - that certainly transports my cursor from inside the table to
below the table.

My problem is that I cannot generate a test case where the following
paragraph mark is missing.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
ahdoj ahdoj is offline

I don't seem to be able to recreate it either, but I will file your two
suggestions (somewhere I will hopefully remember) in case it reoccurs.

Thank you

ahdoj

"Swifty" wrote:

I did something to my table that made it impossible to click below the table
to go on with text entry (lost my paragraph mark).

I've had this happen to me. There is a trick (something like Ctrl+click)
you can use *inside* the table to transport the cursor to after the
table. Unfortunately the brain cell that contained this information
expired a few months ago.

Ask me again if you don't find the answer - its on a disk somewhere
inside IBM, and if I search hard enough I'll find it eventually.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There is always a paragraph mark following a table; it cannot be missing.
However, the paragraph mark could be formatted as hidden text or in 1 pt
font size, which means it would be (almost) invisible.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Swifty" wrote in message ...
Ask me again if you don't find the answer - its on a disk somewhere
inside IBM, and if I search hard enough I'll find it eventually.

I didn't find it in a brief search within IBM, but the answer may be
Ctrl+End - that certainly transports my cursor from inside the table to
below the table.

My problem is that I cannot generate a test case where the following
paragraph mark is missing.

--
Steve Swift
http://www.swiftys.org.uk/swifty.html
http://www.ringers.org.uk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Swifty Swifty is offline

There is always a paragraph mark following a table; it cannot be missing.

Next time I get a table with no way of getting beyond it, I'll be sure
to mail you a copy, for your entertainment. :-)