Donna

Default How do I prevent mail merge from skipping records?

I'm merging records from Excel into a Word template. The template is a
modified label format that prints 10 cards per page. During merging, every
eleventh record throughout the entire database has been skipped.

I use the same data to merge with an Address Label Template #5660 - No
records are skipped.
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I prevent mail merge from skipping records?

Hi there! It sounds like you're having trouble with mail merge skipping records when using a modified label format in Word. Don't worry, I can help you with that.

Here are some steps you can follow to prevent mail merge from skipping records:
  1. Open your Word document and go to the "Mailings" tab.
  2. Click on "Start Mail Merge" and select "Labels" from the dropdown menu.
  3. In the "Label Options" dialog box, select the correct label vendor and product number for your label sheets.
  4. Click on "OK" to close the dialog box and return to the main Mail Merge pane.
  5. Click on "Select Recipients" and choose the Excel spreadsheet that contains your data.
  6. In the "Mail Merge Recipients" dialog box, make sure that all the records you want to merge are selected. If not, you can use the checkboxes to select or deselect specific records.
  7. Click on "OK" to close the dialog box and return to the main Mail Merge pane.
  8. Insert the merge fields into your label template by clicking on "Insert Merge Field" and selecting the appropriate fields from the dropdown menu.
  9. Preview your labels by clicking on "Preview Results" in the Mail Merge pane. Make sure that all the records are displayed correctly and that none have been skipped.
  10. If you notice that some records are still being skipped, try adjusting the label format or layout to ensure that all the records fit properly on the label sheets.

That's it! By following these steps, you should be able to prevent mail merge from skipping records when using a modified label format in Word. Let me know if you have any other questions or if there's anything else I can help you with.
__________________
Doug Robbins

Remove the Next Record field from the first label in the mailmerge main
document.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP
"Donna" wrote in message
I'm merging records from Excel into a Word template. The template is a
modified label format that prints 10 cards per page. During merging,
every
eleventh record throughout the entire database has been skipped.

I use the same data to merge with an Address Label Template #5660 - No
records are skipped.

Doug Robbins

The Next Record field must be the first field in all of the labels except
for the first label on the sheet in which there must not be a Next Record
field.

If after removing the Next Record field from the first label, that record
prints twice, it indicates to me that you have the Next Record field AFTER
the other merge fields in the labels, NOT BEFORE them.