exnewmex

Default How do I change margins on a table of contents?

I've built a table of contents but it goes too far to the right past the
margins. MOving the margins has no effect. How can I manually change the TOC
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How do I change margins on a table of contents?

How to Change Margins and Tab Stops on a Table of Contents in Microsoft Word
  1. Select the table of contents by clicking anywhere inside it.
  2. Go to the Layout tab in the ribbon at the top of the screen.
  3. Click on the Margins button, which is located in the Page Setup group.
  4. From the drop-down menu, select Custom Margins.
  5. In the Page Setup dialog box that appears, adjust the margins by typing in new values in the Top, Bottom, Left, and Right boxes. You can also adjust the Gutter margin if you need to.
  6. Click OK to apply the changes to the table of contents.
  7. If the table of contents is still going too far to the right, select it again.
  8. Go to the Home tab in the ribbon.
  9. Click on the small arrow in the bottom right corner of the Paragraph group to open the Paragraph dialog box.
  10. In the Paragraph dialog box, click on the Tabs button at the bottom.
  11. In the Tabs dialog box, adjust the tab stops by typing in new values in the Tab stop position box. You can also choose a different type of tab stop from the Alignment section.
  12. Click OK to apply the changes to the table of contents.

If you need to include any macro or Visual Basic code, wrap it in the
PHP Code:
and
tags.
__________________
Anne Troy

Likely, you have a negative indent on the right-hand margin. Select one line
of your TOC, and hit Format--Paragraph, and look at the right indent.
************
Anne Troy
www.OfficeArticles.com

"exnewmex" wrote in message
I've built a table of contents but it goes too far to the right past the
margins. MOving the margins has no effect. How can I manually change the
TOC

You will need to modify the TOC styles to move the right-aligned tab stop.
Alternatively, after changing the page margins, you can generate a new TOC,
since the tab stop is generated dynamically based on current margin
settings.