Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Laurel

Default How can I distribute text boxes evenly, and size them the same?

I have a table with three columns into which I'm placing text boxes. I'd like
to have the text boxes be evenly distributed (with the same gutter between
each), and also be positioned so that the tops line up. I'd prefer to do this
automatically, rather than trying to line them up "by eye". I'm using
Microsoft Word (Office 11 Pro).
WordBanter AI WordBanter AI is offline
Word Super Guru

Thumbs up Answer: How can I distribute text boxes evenly, and size them the same?

[list=1][*]Select all the text boxes you want to distribute evenly.[*]Go to the "Format" tab in the ribbon.[*]Click on the "Align" dropdown menu and select "Distribute Horizontally".[*]This will distribute the text boxes evenly with the same gutter between each.[*]To make sure the tops of the text boxes line up, select all the text boxes again.[*]Go to the "Format" tab in the ribbon.[*]Click on the "Align" dropdown menu and select "Align Top".[*]This will align the tops of all the text boxes.

If you want to make sure the text boxes are also the same size, you can follow these additional steps:
[*]Select all the text boxes again.[*]Go to the "Format" tab in the ribbon.[*]Click on the "Size" dropdown menu and select "Size and Position".[*]In the "Size and Position" dialog box, make sure the "Lock aspect ratio" checkbox is checked.[*]Enter the desired height or width for one of the text boxes.[*]Click "OK".[*]All the selected text boxes will now be the same size.

By following these steps, you can easily distribute text boxes evenly, align their tops, and make them the same size in Microsoft Word.
__________________
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
LH

I may be misunderstanding -- "text boxes" in Word has a distinct
meaning, and I think you are just saying you want to place some text
inside a table "cell." It is possible to format the table cells and the
text inside to achieve the effect you describe with a five-column table
without messing with "text boxes."

As an example, create a 5 column, 5 row table. Highlight the first
column, go to Table, Table Properties, Column, and make the width 2
inches. Repeat for the third and fifth column, but make the width 0.25"
for the second and fourth column. Make sure that no borders exist for
right now. Your narrow columns will serve as gutters

Now highlight the first row, go to Table, Table Properties, Row and
specify the height to be EXACTLY 1.25".

Type in some text in each cell of the table, then highlight all the
text and go to FORMAT PARAGRAPH. Set the left and right indent 0.1
inches, space before and space after to "6 pt" and the alignment to
Justified.

Lastly highlight a cell that requires a border and go to FORMAT BORDER,
and choose the box option. Repeat as needed.

Problems?
Width of columns should be figured out with a little math. 8.5" wide
paper minus left & right margin gives me entire table width. It is
always easiest to use "simple" numbers on a piece of scratch paper
rather than using the "drag and drop" method of adjusting columns
inside the Word document.

Row height not allowing all the text to be seen? You can use the row
height "At least" instead of "exact"

Need the boxes to be of different heights -- Instead of highlighting
the cell and applying the border to the cell, try highlighting just the
words inside and applying the border, OR looking for the option inside
the borders menu for paragraph rather than cell. Cell is usually the
default.

You might also consider adding more rows to serve as vertical spacers

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Laurel

Thank you to both LH and Suzanne. I tried your suggestion LH and I understand
the concept. I'm trying to write a "newsletter" so I need the text to wrap
and for each blob of text in a column to be linked with the text in the next
column. When I tried to that with tables, the text pushed the table width
wider - did not wrap, and I could not find a way to wrap text in the table
even though I went to table propertiescelloptionsand checked "wrap text".

Initially, I thought that to build an email newsletter, the "text box inside
of a table" would work because that's how the Microsoft templates are
formatted. Unfortunately when I import the resulting .html document, Lotus
makes a mess of my formatting.

Obviously there are several issues here - not the least of which is my lack
of experience with the program. Any other ideas would be most appreciated.