La La Lara

Default Form fields in frames - can I format the text (ie bold, italic)?

I have set up my form with the form fields in frames (I didn't use tables
because with tables there is no ability to select individual words or
paragraphs if the user wants to cut and paste the text or edit it).

Now my *lovely* users tell me that they want to be able to format the text
by using bold, italics, bullets etc.

I have a macro that unprotects and reprotects the form without losing the
text in the form fields, but when I go to use [for instance] bullets, it
messes up the formatting of the frame.

Is there another way to do this or will the users have to lump it??!!!

It sounds as if the users need to be able to edit and format their input as
ordinary text. Can these freeform fields be in an unprotected section? They
still won't be able to use the Bullets or Numbering buttons, but they can
use direct font formatting, and I believe they can apply styles (including
bulleted and numbered ones).

Or perhaps it is time to step back and see if a protected form is really the
best approach. There are solutions using UserForms that would allow users to
input data at the beginning of the document creation process and have that
data inserted in the document, which then remains an ordinary Word document
that can be handled as such.

"La La Lara" wrote in message
I have set up my form with the form fields in frames (I didn't use tables
because with tables there is no ability to select individual words or
paragraphs if the user wants to cut and paste the text or edit it).

Now my *lovely* users tell me that they want to be able to format the text
by using bold, italics, bullets etc.

I have a macro that unprotects and reprotects the form without losing the
text in the form fields, but when I go to use [for instance] bullets, it
messes up the formatting of the frame.

Is there another way to do this or will the users have to lump it??!!!

Dian Chapman, MVP, MOS

As Suzanne has suggested, there are other ways to do this. You might
want to review my forms articles he

http://www.mousetrax.com/techpage.html#autoforms

And you might want to check out this page to see some other ideas of
how you might handle this:

http://www.mousetrax.com/Consulting_Solutions.html

Dian D. Chapman, Technical Consultant
Microsoft MVP, MOS Certified
Editor/TechTrax Ezine

Free Tutorials: http://www.mousetrax.com/techtrax
Free Word eBook: www.mousetrax.com/books.html
Optimize your business docs: www.mousetrax.com/consulting
Learn VBA the easy way: www.mousetrax.com/techcourses.html

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 07:25:04 -0800, "?B?TGEgTGEgTGFyYQ==?="
wrote:

I have set up my form with the form fields in frames (I didn't use tables
because with tables there is no ability to select individual words or
paragraphs if the user wants to cut and paste the text or edit it).

Now my *lovely* users tell me that they want to be able to format the text
by using bold, italics, bullets etc.

I have a macro that unprotects and reprotects the form without losing the
text in the form fields, but when I go to use [for instance] bullets, it
messes up the formatting of the frame.

Is there another way to do this or will the users have to lump it??!!!

La La Lara

Thanks so much Suzanne and Dian. I will take a look at what you have
suggested and get back to you if needs be!

wrote:

I have set up my form with the form fields in frames (I didn't use tables
because with tables there is no ability to select individual words or
paragraphs if the user wants to cut and paste the text or edit it).

Now my *lovely* users tell me that they want to be able to format the text
by using bold, italics, bullets etc.

I have a macro that unprotects and reprotects the form without losing the
text in the form fields, but when I go to use [for instance] bullets, it
messes up the formatting of the frame.

Is there another way to do this or will the users have to lump it??!!!

Email a protected document that contains Text Form Fields Dowza New Users 1 January 8th 05 10:31 AM
How do I autofill Text Form Fields from other Text form Fields in. Bmwdakar650 New Users 2 January 4th 05 02:10 PM
Outline Renee Hendershott Page Layout 2 December 25th 04 02:49 PM
Text Form Fields Bob G Tables 2 December 3rd 04 11:29 PM
Text boxes in protected Doc, form fields BP522 Microsoft Word Help 5 December 3rd 04 07:55 PM