Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Len H

Default Saving MS Office files through other applications

Hello reader,

I am trying to develop a solution for our company for storing our documents
in a controlled manner. I have used document management systems (the
Hummingbird application comes to mind) that automatically force a user to
save a file in a datbase whenever they create it in a native MS Office
application.

Does anyone know if its possible to develop functionality in some manner so
that when a user clicks "Save" to save a file, a document managment database
(Access or some other tool) opens requesting the document information instead
of the Windows directory asking the user where they want tro store the
document and what they want to name it? I'd like to be able to do this, but
I don't want to spend $300k on a document management system to do it.

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Len:

If you manage to create your own solution reliably for "less" than
$300,000.00 I will be very surprised :-) There's some fairly serious coding
involved to get it bullet-proof.

However, a copy of Microsoft SharePoint Server with Check-Out/Check-In
enabled will cost you a hell of a lot less than that :-)

See he
http://www.microsoft.com/office/show...n/default.mspx

If you are already running Windows Server, chances are you already own
SharePoint. Forget InfoPath, you don't need it for what you're doing. Just
enable Document Control in SharePoint and you've done the job.

Cheers

On 29/3/06 7:43 AM, in article
, "Len H" Len
wrote:

Hello reader,

I am trying to develop a solution for our company for storing our documents
in a controlled manner. I have used document management systems (the
Hummingbird application comes to mind) that automatically force a user to
save a file in a datbase whenever they create it in a native MS Office
application.

Does anyone know if its possible to develop functionality in some manner so
that when a user clicks "Save" to save a file, a document managment database
(Access or some other tool) opens requesting the document information instead
of the Windows directory asking the user where they want tro store the
document and what they want to name it? I'd like to be able to do this, but
I don't want to spend $300k on a document management system to do it.

Thanks

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410