Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Default Excel cell colours in linked sheet not visible

I'm using Word 2003 in XP and have a Word document for a price list in which
the data is in a linked Excel spreadsheet.

For clarity, alternate rows in the Excel table have a fill colour (25%
gray). The problem is that this colouring is not visible in the Word
document, print preview or when output to PDF. Printing to a laser printer
is fine (using PCL5e and PS drivers), but not having it in visible in the
PDF is a problem.

Any ideas?

JF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi JF

Try pasting the Excel table as a picture. There are two main ways to do
this:

Option 1. In Excel, hold down the Shift key, click Edit Copy Picture.
Choose one of the options you're given (experiment to get the result that
works best for you). Then in Word, do Edit Paste (or ctrl-v) as usual.

Option 2. In Excel, do Edit Copy (or ctrl-c). In Word, do Edit Paste
Special and paste as a Picture (Enhanced Metafile).

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"msnews.microsoft.com" wrote in message
I'm using Word 2003 in XP and have a Word document for a price list in
which the data is in a linked Excel spreadsheet.

For clarity, alternate rows in the Excel table have a fill colour (25%
gray). The problem is that this colouring is not visible in the Word
document, print preview or when output to PDF. Printing to a laser
printer is fine (using PCL5e and PS drivers), but not having it in visible
in the PDF is a problem.

Any ideas?

JF.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
msnews.microsoft.com msnews.microsoft.com is offline

Hi Shauna.

Thanks for the suggestion, but if I use a 'picture' of the table, will this
still be updateable as it is with a linked table? If not, this solves the
shading problem but creates a much more serious one in that any updates will
require a new picture too be copy/pasted into the Word document.

...or am I misunderstanding the suggestion?

JF.

"Shauna Kelly" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Shauna Kelly Shauna Kelly is offline

Hi JF

A picture can be linked to the original if you choose the appropriate option
at Edit Paste Special.