Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
sappari sappari is offline

Default Manipulating sound clips in Office 2003/2007 under XP vs Vista

My Chinese class requires that I listen to sound clips (.wav) embedded in
the file and respond to them. Under XP, Office automatically opened sound
recorder to play/edit the sounds. However, I'm running Vista at home and
apparently Vista was stripped of sndrec32 and replaced with, imo, a piece of
crap with almost zero functionality. So I found that people are taking the
sndrec32.exe file from XP and copying it to Vista. I tried the same thing and
now Office can insert .wav files but this different than XP. In XP, Office
recognizes it as a "Sound recording" and allows you to right click a speaker
icon and select edit/play. In Vista, Office treats it as a package and
instead, gives the option to "activate package." It also changes the icon
from a speaker to a package icon with (.wav) which completely ruins the
formatting of the document. How do I restore full functionality to Word? The
dependent program is the same so what's wrong--registry issue?