Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Boblawyer Boblawyer is offline

Default Going "backwards" from Word 2007 to Word 2003

I have a licensed "student" edition of Word 2003. I installed it on the 3
PCs we have at home (my kids are the students), which is allowed with the
student edition.

I decided to see what Word 2007 was all about, so I bought and installed it.

Unfortunately, it over-wrote 2003 (my mistake during the installation, I'm
sure) - a result I did not intend.

Frankly, I am unhappy with 2007. Aside from having to learn a whole new
set of commands, the basic structure is a departure from just about all other
Windows applications (File, Edit, View, etc) and it takes more clickstrokes
to accomplish the same tasks than in 2003.

And my workplace still uses 2003.

I would like to re-install 2003 using the original disk. I am concerned
that when I plug in the serial number, Microsoft will disable the program on
the ground that the program is being installed on someone else's computer in
violation of the license terms.

Is there any way to take care of this before I do the re-install of 2003 ?

Bob
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Sat, 13 Dec 2008 05:31:00 -0800, Boblawyer
wrote:

[...]

Don't worry about it. The activation database at Microsoft has a record of the
"identity" of each machine where you initially installed Word 2003, and
reinstalling on any of those three machines should let you reactivate without
complaining.

I say "should" because there are always gremlins in the system, but if the
activation routine fails to recognize the machine, you'll be invited to
reactivate by telephone.

The "identity" of a machine for activation purposes consists of a number (I
believe about ten) of characteristics, such as the serial number of the hard
drive, the address of the network card, and the model of the motherboard. Even
if a few of those have been changed by upgrades, the machine will still be
recognized and reactivation will be allowed.

The one issue to take care of before the reinstallation is to be sure to resave
any 2007-format documents or templates in 2003 format, or else to download the
Compatibility Pack
(http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...3-C6BB74CD1466)
to let Word 2003 edit the documents (but it won't be able to use 2007-format
templates).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Boblawyer Boblawyer is offline

Trhank you very much.

I will try the re-install.

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

2003 should re-install on the original PC without problem. You may have to
activate it by telephone, though probably won't.
Are you sure you installed 2007 as an upgrade to rather than alongside 2003?
Is 2003 listed in the start menu? Is Winword.exe still in the C:\Program
Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11 folder? If not re-install 2003.

You can if you wish run both versions until you get up to speed in 2007 -
see http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Boblawyer wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Boblawyer Boblawyer is offline

As I suspected, it was done (unintentionally) as an upgrade.

2003 no longer in start menu.
Winword.exe is not present.

Thank you for your prompt reply.

Boblawyer wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Keith Roberts Keith Roberts is offline

Can I pick up on this thread.

I have a full license for 2007, but seriously dislike the appearance. Both
my laptop and my employers use the 2003 version of Word, and I find its
appearance and menu structure infinitely preferable to the new.

The new interface is not in any way helpful to me.

Is there any way in Word 2007 that I can amend my viewing preferences to the
classic style? This is a new build PC so I don't have a roll back option.
Believe me I would take it with pleasure.

Keith
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

What you see is what you get. There are some utilities that add a semblance
of Word 2003's menu structure eg http://ribboncustomizer.com/ , but that is
all it is and I don't feel it helps get to grips with working with 2007's
new ribbon interface. If you want the 2003 interface, you will have to
re-install 2003.

Keith Roberts wrote:
Can I pick up on this thread.

I have a full license for 2007, but seriously dislike the appearance.
Both my laptop and my employers use the 2003 version of Word, and I
find its appearance and menu structure infinitely preferable to the
new.

The new interface is not in any way helpful to me.

Is there any way in Word 2007 that I can amend my viewing preferences
to the classic style? This is a new build PC so I don't have a roll
back option. Believe me I would take it with pleasure.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Keith Roberts[_2_] Keith Roberts[_2_] is offline

Keith Roberts wrote:
Can I pick up on this thread.

I have a full license for 2007, but seriously dislike the appearance.
Both my laptop and my employers use the 2003 version of Word, and I
find its appearance and menu structure infinitely preferable to the
new.

The new interface is not in any way helpful to me.

Is there any way in Word 2007 that I can amend my viewing preferences
to the classic style? This is a new build PC so I don't have a roll
back option. Believe me I would take it with pleasure.

Keith

Thank you for the quick reply Graham. Life is really too short for me to spend hours trying to make the software usable.

Once simple tasks are now a real pain in the nether regions. It looks as if
I shall have to revert to Open Office, keeping this product just for those
occasions when I really have an issue with formatting something awkward. I
really wish I hadn't wasted my money now.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Unless you are already familiar with OpenOffice, then you will still have a
learning curve to use that application proficiently. It too is not a clone
of Word 2003.

Thank you for the quick reply Graham. Life is really too short for
me to spend hours trying to make the software usable.

Once simple tasks are now a real pain in the nether regions. It looks
as if I shall have to revert to Open Office, keeping this product
just for those occasions when I really have an issue with formatting
something awkward. I really wish I hadn't wasted my money now.

Keith

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Gordon[_2_] Gordon[_2_] is offline

Keith Roberts wrote:
Can I pick up on this thread.

I have a full license for 2007, but seriously dislike the appearance.
Both my laptop and my employers use the 2003 version of Word, and I
find its appearance and menu structure infinitely preferable to the
new.

The new interface is not in any way helpful to me.

Is there any way in Word 2007 that I can amend my viewing preferences
to the classic style? This is a new build PC so I don't have a roll
back option. Believe me I would take it with pleasure.

Keith

Thank you for the quick reply Graham. Life is really too short for me to
spend hours trying to make the software usable.

Once simple tasks are now a real pain in the nether regions.

Would you like to give an example of a "once simple task"? I bet there's a
"now simple solution...."

--
Asking a question?
your OS, Service Pack level