Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Polar Bear Dave

Default error message when I try to use my Outlook Contacts for labels

I'm using mail merge to create mailing labels. I want to use the Outlook
Contacts folder for the names and addresses. When I select the folder I get
the following error message -

This operation cannot be completed because of a dialog or database engine
failure. Try again later.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Polar Bear Dave

Graham,

I looked at the site you provided. It did not help.

1) When I try to use Outlook for the mail merge, there is no mail merge
option in my pull down list within Outlook. I use Outlook 2003??

2) When I go to Word and try and use mail merge, when I get to the place
where "Use existing list" is checked, instead of seeing the file "OMM2.doc"
what I see is a Browse box.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong??

Dave

Polar Bear Dave wrote:
I'm using mail merge to create mailing labels. I want to use the
Outlook Contacts folder for the names and addresses. When I select
the folder I get the following error message -

This operation cannot be completed because of a dialog or database
engine failure. Try again later.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Are you using the Tools menu in Outlook Contacts? Mail Merge is not an item
on Tools menu when the Mail folders are active in Outlook.

Do you have Office 2003 as well as Outlook 2003. You must have the same
version of both Word and Outlook to be able to initiate a Mailmerge from
Outlook. Accoding to the information at
http://www.slipstick.com/outlook/ol2003/upgrade.htm, it is still possible
however to use the Outlook contacts as a datasource for a merge initiated
from Word.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Polar Bear Dave wrote:
I'm using mail merge to create mailing labels. I want to use the
Outlook Contacts folder for the names and addresses. When I select
the folder I get the following error message -

This operation cannot be completed because of a dialog or database
engine failure. Try again later.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Polar Bear Dave

Doug,
I was in the mail folders vs. the contacts list - dumb me!! Thanks,

Dave

Polar Bear Dave wrote:
I'm using mail merge to create mailing labels. I want to use the
Outlook Contacts folder for the names and addresses. When I select
the folder I get the following error message -

This operation cannot be completed because of a dialog or database
engine failure. Try again later.

Any thoughts?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Chicky

Did you fix your problem because I seem to be having the same type of
problem, I can't hit the merge key and I can't select the folder I want in
the contacts folder. Any suggestions?