Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Mysterious changes in new hyperlink - backslash becomes forward slash

Existing hyperlinks work ok but news I try to create are changing their
formatting after I create them.

Correct file name displayed at time manual selection of target file (in a
subordinate directory called "testing") in "Edit hyperlink" window is:

testing\Quiz number 2.doc

After closing the "Edit window" when I try to activate the link I get error
msg "Cannot open specified file."

File name displayed upon reopening "Edit hyperlink" window is:

testing/Quiz%20number%202.doc

The backslash has mysteriously and all of sudden been converted to a
forwardslash.

Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Help please.

Richard

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Artful_Dodger,

Check in Tools/Options/General/Web Options/File. Is the checkbox to "update
links" when saving activated? If it is, try deactivating and see if that
helps.

Existing hyperlinks work ok but news I try to create are changing their
formatting after I create them.

Correct file name displayed at time manual selection of target file (in a
subordinate directory called "testing") in "Edit hyperlink" window is:

testing\Quiz number 2.doc

After closing the "Edit window" when I try to activate the link I get error
msg "Cannot open specified file."

File name displayed upon reopening "Edit hyperlink" window is:

testing/Quiz%20number%202.doc

The backslash has mysteriously and all of sudden been converted to a
forwardslash.

Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

Thank you for your suggestion, Cindy. Alas, it doesn't help.

The most recent link I created started out as

Business\BUL 1240 -- Quiz#3.doc

but materialized finally as

Business/BUL%201240%20--%20Quiz#3.doc

Earlier links still have the backslash and still work.

There's no hyperlink base for this document, btw, for what it's worth.

I appreciate your efforts to help very much.

A. Dodger

Cindy M. wrote:

Hi Artful_Dodger,

Check in Tools/Options/General/Web Options/File. Is the checkbox to "update
links" when saving activated? If it is, try deactivating and see if that
helps.

Existing hyperlinks work ok but news I try to create are changing their
formatting after I create them.

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Artful_Dodger,

Alas, it doesn't help.

The most recent link I created started out as

Business\BUL 1240 -- Quiz#3.doc

but materialized finally as

Business/BUL%201240%20--%20Quiz#3.doc

Earlier links still have the backslash and still work.
There's no hyperlink base for this document, btw, for what it's worth.

To bad it couldn't be that simple...

If you hold down CTRL to start Word in Safe Mode (I'm assuming 2002 or 2003,
here) does the behavior persist, or does it go away for the duration of that
session?

Check in Tools/Options/General/Web Options/File. Is the checkbox to "update
links" when saving activated? If it is, try deactivating and see if that
helps.

Existing hyperlinks work ok but news I try to create are changing their
formatting after I create them.

[quoted text clipped - 16 lines]
Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com Artful_Dodger via OfficeKB.com is offline

No, that doesnt affect behavior.

Two hyperlink on the same page work differently.

Link to doct # 1 as established in the dialog box before closing = Business\
BUL 1240 -- Quiz #3.doc

Link to doct # 1 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing =
Business/BUL%201240%20--%20Quiz#3.doc

Doesnt work as a hyperlink.

Link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing = Business/My%
20outline%20for%20BUL%201240.doc
(Dont know form of link at time of creation. )

Does work.

If I create a new, second, duplicate link to doct # 2:

Second link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box before closing =
Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Second link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing =
Business/My%20outline%20for%20BUL%201240.doc

Does work. (What the heck?)

New hyperlink in new blank document:

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box before closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Works.

Note, there is no transformation of the link with forward slashes and %20.

Thanks for your willingness to help.

A. Dodger.

Cindy M. wrote:
Hi Artful_Dodger,

Alas, it doesn't help.

[quoted text clipped - 9 lines]
There's no hyperlink base for this document, btw, for what it's worth.

To bad it couldn't be that simple...

If you hold down CTRL to start Word in Safe Mode (I'm assuming 2002 or 2003,
here) does the behavior persist, or does it go away for the duration of that
session?

Check in Tools/Options/General/Web Options/File. Is the checkbox to "update
links" when saving activated? If it is, try deactivating and see if that

[quoted text clipped - 5 lines]
Existing hyperlinks still work and opening and closing the "Edit hyperlink"
window doesn't cause this chage.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi Artful_Dodger,

New hyperlink in new blank document:

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box before closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

Third link to doct # 2 as established in the dialog box AFTER closing = C:\
Docts\Misc\Employment\Business\My outline for BUL 1240.doc

OK, if I'm reading this correctly, the problem is with a particular document
(or documents) and not generally with Word?

Is the document where the odd behavior is occurring NOT a *.doc, but some
other file format? Or was it originally created as something other than a WORD
document?

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

when i type a slash this enters é, why Cherish Microsoft Word Help 1 March 13th 07 09:15 AM
hyperlink forward bobk544 Page Layout 1 February 4th 07 03:08 PM
Create an auto-forward (forward to a friend) button in html email Fairfield Displays Mailmerge 1 March 14th 06 01:47 PM
e With a slash Raeligh Microsoft Word Help 1 May 17th 05 02:10 AM
How do I get a "soft" slash (/)? Madeleine Rose Microsoft Word Help 1 February 24th 05 06:17 AM