Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Faturj Faturj is offline

Default Using auto shapes within mail merge

I am trying to make labels using mail merge with an excel spreadsheet.
These are for inventory items used on up to 3 products. When the 3
products print on the label, I want them to each print within a colored
shape. I am having a frustrating time formating so that the product
code prints within the shape. Auto shapes has been frustrating enough.
Here is what a label would look like:

Part #
Description
Product A Product B Product C

I used rectangles each with different color fill so that the assembler
can visually see whether a part belongs on this product. Every part
number may not be on all 3 products. Auto shapes has been very
frustrating to use. I cannot get the 3 shapes to be consistent in
shape, position on the label or proper placement within the shape. I
can't even consistently get the product code to print with the color
fill. Very maddening. Can anyone help?

--
Faturj
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

While http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm and
http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm will show you how to merge
graphics, but I think you are stretching the envelope here of what might be
possible. There are two possible approaches. If you only have three
products, I would create what you wish to enter for each of the three
products as graphics and merge them as shown in the second link.

Alternatively you could format the text of the merged data eg

{ IF{ MERGEFIELD ProductA } "" "{ Mergefield ProductA \*Charformat}" }
{ IF{ MERGEFIELD ProductB } "" "{ Mergefield ProductB \*Charformat}"}
{ IF{ MERGEFIELD ProductC } "" "{ Mergefield ProductC \*Charformat}"}

using borders and shading to shade this bit of each conditional field {
Mergefield ProductA \*Charformat}with a different colour
This will place a coloured block containing the content of the field for
each of the products.

You *might* be able to create greater flexibility by using Publisher to
create the merge as it has better control of graphics on labels.

Faturj wrote:
[...]

MS Word-Auto Shapes - Banners OGKU2S Microsoft Word Help 1 December 9th 06 07:37 PM
Auto Mail Merge The Blues Mailmerge 6 August 3rd 06 05:22 PM
Auto Shapes Rotation rajkohli Microsoft Word Help 3 April 25th 06 06:57 AM
Auto Shapes Baffled Microsoft Word Help 1 January 12th 06 03:25 PM
Auto numbering paragraphs in a Mail Merge JCSadie Mailmerge 2 April 4th 05 09:55 PM