Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ascott ascott is offline

Default unable to open data source

I have followed the instructions listed here and Word is still unable to
complete my mail merge as some of the records have "too many data fields"
then when i complete the merge, the address block is blank.
Can anybody help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you sure that the message is not that there are too few data fields?

What is the data source?

Instead of using the Address Block, just insert the individual merge fields
in the configuration that you want them.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"ascott" wrote in message
I have followed the instructions listed here and Word is still unable to
complete my mail merge as some of the records have "too many data fields"
then when i complete the merge, the address block is blank.
Can anybody help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
ascott ascott is offline

It says "record 16 has too many data fields"
The problem I'm having is half of my letters were already printed with
address blocks in them, I was told to enter 50 new addresses and now when I
go to merge them into my letters I am told that word is unable to open the
data source.
I read the post about saving the file with a .txt extension which I did, now
it's telling me that I can't use the file because some of the records have
too many data fields.
I'm trying to make this as easy as possible I have a mass mailing on my hands!

"ascott" wrote in message
I have followed the instructions listed here and Word is still unable to
complete my mail merge as some of the records have "too many data fields"
then when i complete the merge, the address block is blank.
Can anybody help me?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you open the data file, what is the difference between record 15 and 16?
Do you actually have more fields in record 16 than in the previous records,
or more importantly in the first row in the file that contains the field
names?