Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Bill B. Bill B. is offline

Default How get rid of an extra space doing mail merge when no Mi?

How do I get rid of an extra space when I do a mail merge and there is no
middle initial?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Insert the following mergefields

FirstName MiddleInitial MiddleInitial LastName LastName

Then press Alt+F9 to reveal the field codes and you will see:

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName } { MERGEFIELD MiddleInitial } { MERGEFIELD
MiddleInitial } { MERGEFIELD LastName }{ MERGEFIELD LastName }

Select everying thing except the { MERGEFIELD FirstName } and press Ctrl+F9
to insert a new pair of field delimiters around the selected items as
follows:

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName } { { MERGEFIELD MiddleInitial } { MERGEFIELD
MiddleInitial } { MERGEFIELD LastName } { MERGEFIELD LastName } }

Now, add IF, "", and the other quotation marks as shown below:

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName } { IF { MERGEFIELD MiddleInitial } "" "{
MERGEFIELD MiddleInitial } { MERGEFIELD LastName }" "{ MERGEFIELD
LastName }" }

Finally, press Alt+F9 to toggle off the display of the field codes.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Bill B." wrote in message
How do I get rid of an extra space when I do a mail merge and there is no
middle initial?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Bill and Doug,
I use "switches" in the mergefields to make things a little Simpler, if
there is no {Mergefield Title} field.

{ MERGEFIELD FirstName}{ MERGEFIELD MiddleInitial \b " "}{ MERGEFIELD
LastName \b " "}

Rich/rerat
(RRR News) message rule
Previous Text Snipped to Save Bandwidth When Appropriate

"Bill B." wrote in message
How do I get rid of an extra space when I do a mail merge and there is no
middle initial?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Rich/rerat Rich/rerat is offline

Doug,