Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MGEAdmin MGEAdmin is offline

Default Non-breaking space in a merge.

How to you code a merge field to change spaces to non-breaking spaces in the
variable text (coming from an Excel Spreadsheet where it won't let you insert
non-breaking spaces)?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi MGEAdmin,

You'll need to change the data source - Excel should allow you to replace your existing spaces (Chr 32) with a non-breaking space
(Chr 160).

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"MGEAdmin" wrote in message ...
How to you code a merge field to change spaces to non-breaking spaces in the
variable text (coming from an Excel Spreadsheet where it won't let you insert
non-breaking spaces)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
MGEAdmin MGEAdmin is offline

Using an excel data file it will allow me to change my spaces in Excel but
once I attach the data source to the Main Document and merge the file I lose
the non-breaking space still. Is this because I am using an Excel data source?

"MGEAdmin" wrote in message ...
How to you code a merge field to change spaces to non-breaking spaces in the
variable text (coming from an Excel Spreadsheet where it won't let you insert
non-breaking spaces)?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

AFAICS the no-break spaces will only get through from Excel if you are able
to use the old Excel converter to get the data, or use Edit|Copy, Edit|Paste
into Word, or something similar, and use that as your data source. every
other method of connecting to Excel (OLE DB, ODBC, and even DDE) changes the
Chr 160 to a space.

Personally I would try to avoid using the Converter - it has been
obsolescent since Office 2002 and has one or two other problems, but you can
get it from Graham Mayor's site at

http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm

--
Peter Jamieson