Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Default ASK not actioned when recipient list changes

I am using Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1.
I have { ASK foo "bar" \o ) and { REF foo \* MERGEFORMAT } fields. *
Without "\o", I am prompted for each merged recipient when I do Edit
individual letters...\Merge to New Document\OK
When I add \o I am not prompted - EVER!
I want to be prompted once for a set of recipients.
I want to be prompted again when the set of recipients changes to a new
set.

* Word added "\* MERGEFORMAT" to my REF field. I assume it is a good
thing. Removing it does nothing to alter perceived behavior.
--
Walter Briscoe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Add an autoopen macro to the merge document template containing the line
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
which will update the Ask field when you open the merge document and any
related REF fields that are in the main body of the document (REF fields in
headers etc may need updating separately)
If the document template was normal.dot this macro may be undesirable there,
so save the merge document as a template and attach it to your merge
document.

Walter Briscoe wrote:
I am using Word 2003 (11.6359.6360) SP1.
I have { ASK foo "bar" \o ) and { REF foo \* MERGEFORMAT } fields. *
Without "\o", I am prompted for each merged recipient when I do Edit
individual letters...\Merge to New Document\OK
When I add \o I am not prompted - EVER!
I want to be prompted once for a set of recipients.
I want to be prompted again when the set of recipients changes to a
new set.

* Word added "\* MERGEFORMAT" to my REF field. I assume it is a good
thing. Removing it does nothing to alter perceived behavior.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

I top-post my belated reply to conform with custom in this newsgroup.
Putting the last message after the sig is new to me and I hope it works.

It took me a long time to make sense of your valuable reply. I did not
see "Idiots' Guide to Installing Macros" at the bottom of the view
rendered on opening http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

AutoOpen runs automatically on opening my main document and when it
opens the output document created when I click Edit individual
letters... (I infer this - I have yet to work out how to insert a
breakpoint in the code of a VBA module. I used to do this in C but am
unable to remember the technique. I have some memory of 3 as a function
parameter.) I use Edit... because Print... does not successfully produce
double-sided output on my printer.

I suppose I need a condition on ActiveDocument.Fields.Update which would
suppress it on the latter document. I have yet to find that condition
and hope for further assistance.

I got a copy of "Office VBA: Macros You Can Use Today" and applied Cindy
Meister's "Mail Merge: Using a Relative Path for Data Source" procedure.
(I now use the complicated version which opens Sheet1 automatically.)
I added the line
ActiveDocument.MailMerge.ShowWizard 5 'Open "Preview your Letters" pane
I have yet to find out how to automate "Edit recipient list..."

When I use that control, the order of columns in the window which opens
is not the same as in my data source. (The first data column is
"Postcode"; it is column J of my Excel data source.) I see the same
behavior (sic) with both the default and Cindy's version of "Use an
existing list". I hope this is an FAQ and would value a pointer to it.

I am sorry this is a portmanteau response. I am trying to run when
barely able to toddle.
--
Walter Briscoe
In message of Sun, 17 Feb 2008 10:34:58
Add an autoopen macro to the merge document template containing the line
ActiveDocument.Fields.Update
which will update the Ask field when you open the merge document and any
related REF fields that are in the main body of the document (REF fields in
headers etc may need updating separately)
If the document template was normal.dot this macro may be undesirable there,
so save the merge document as a template and attach it to your merge
document.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

In message of Sat, 1 Mar 2008
07:28:49 in microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields, Walter Briscoe
writes

Sorry to add something to last posting, but I found some things out.

I top-post my belated reply to conform with custom in this newsgroup.
Putting the last message after the sig is new to me and I hope it works.

It took me a long time to make sense of your valuable reply. I did not
see "Idiots' Guide to Installing Macros" at the bottom of the view
rendered on opening http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

AutoOpen runs automatically on opening my main document and when it
opens the output document created when I click Edit individual
letters... (I infer this - I have yet to work out how to insert a
breakpoint in the code of a VBA module. I used to do this in C but am
unable to remember the technique. I have some memory of 3 as a function
parameter.) I use Edit... because Print... does not successfully
produce double-sided output on my printer.

My inference above is wrong.
A stop statement showed AutoOpen is not run for the output document.
I found no method to invert ActiveDocument.Fields.Update.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

I have lost track of this thread, but if you want to run a macro on a *new*
document automatically you need to call it autonew rather than autoopen.

Walter Briscoe wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Walter Briscoe Walter Briscoe is offline

Thank you. I now have something which seems to work well.
I will manage without answers to my other questions.
--
Walter Briscoe

In message of Sat, 1 Mar 2008 11:44:48

recipient list Dave Mailmerge 3 October 14th 07 05:04 PM
Can't edit recipient list [email protected] Mailmerge 1 November 15th 06 02:15 PM
How do I print a recipient list from a mail merge list in Word? Randog Mailmerge 1 June 20th 06 06:52 PM
Edit recipient list Joanne Mailmerge 6 January 13th 06 08:44 AM
Recipient List Sharon Mailmerge 1 January 11th 06 04:59 AM