Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil in Oz Phil in Oz is offline

Default MailMerge - repeating information

Hello:

I have a mail merge set up to produce two reports.

Report 1 contains a table along the lines of:

Student ID Raw Mark Scaled Mark Pass/Fail etc:

Report 2 contains a simplified version of the same information:

Student ID Pass/Fail

which is for distribution to students (ie, stuff they don't need to know has
been stripped off it)

The data is merged in from an Excel spreadsheet - that aspect words fine.
I'm using 'NextRecord' to move through the data records, and the result is
exactly what I'm after: a table listing all of the above, with the results
dragged in from Excel.

To save on time and effort, I would like these 2 reports to be part of the
same document, rather than 2 separate docs. However, this would require one
of two options:

Resetting the mail merge back to the first record, or;

Having cells in the second table reflect the contents of relevant cells in
the first table.

Either would word admirably in theory: but I can't get either of these to
work in practice.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,

Phil

Word 2002
XP Home
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

To answer your question, it is not possible to move backwards through the
data source.

The way that you are doing it now is probably as good as any. I suppose
however, you could just take the first document, the more complete one, copy
the table and paste it into the document at a second location and then from
that new table, delete the columns that you do not need.
--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Phil in Oz" Phil in wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Phil in Oz[_2_] Phil in Oz[_2_] is offline

Thanks for the speedy reply Doug;

I think you're right - a macro that copied all the information, then deleted
the extra columns would probably work a treat.

I would however like to further explore the idea of linking cells in the
second table to ones in the first: I see there's a forum for Tables, so I'll
see what I can find out there!

Thanks again for your help,

Phil

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Phil,

You could simply replicate the required mergefields in the second table. That will be a lot easier than trying to link
(cross-reference) the cell contents, especially where text is concerned.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]