Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol R. Carol R. is offline

Default Word not saving my data source

I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source. Shouldn't it be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter to the
database every time I open the file?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Which version of Word, and are you seeing a message like "Opening this will
run the following SQL command" ? If so, the following article may help:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/825765/en-us

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source. Shouldn't it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter to the
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol R. Carol R. is offline

It's the 2007 version, and sometimes I get the message "Opening this will
run the following SQL command", but sometimes I don't. What am I doing wrong?

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source. Shouldn't it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter to the
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If you are seeing the SQL message, that is a good sign because it means that
a data source /is/ attached. I suggest you make the registry change
suggested in the article to make that message disappear, then see how things
go.

Are you definitely saving the mail merge main document after you have
attached the data source to it (obvious question, I know...)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but
every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source. Shouldn't
it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter to
the
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol R. Carol R. is offline

I don't see the SQL message all the time. I tried to read through that
article to make the registry change but it didn't make any sense to me. And
yes, I am saving after I attach the data source and it still somehow manages
to "lose" my datasource. This is very annoying! Thanks for your help and I
will appreciate any other suggestions you may have.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you are seeing the SQL message, that is a good sign because it means that
a data source /is/ attached. I suggest you make the registry change
suggested in the article to make that message disappear, then see how things
go.

Are you definitely saving the mail merge main document after you have
attached the data source to it (obvious question, I know...)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but
every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source. Shouldn't
it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter to
the
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Yes, these articles are not always particularly clear or obvious.

However, I still think it is worth making the registry change described in
the article if you (a) understand that it theoretically makes your system
slightly less secure and (b) can work out how to do it. It is a reversible
change.

What type of data source are you using? Is the file located on your own
machine, or is it on a network drive somewhere?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you are seeing the SQL message, that is a good sign because it means
that
a data source /is/ attached. I suggest you make the registry change
suggested in the article to make that message disappear, then see how
things
go.

Are you definitely saving the mail merge main document after you have
attached the data source to it (obvious question, I know...)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but
every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source.
Shouldn't
it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Carol R. Carol R. is offline

The data source is on a network drive... hmm, maybe that is the probelm, not
that there's anything I can do about it. As far as making the registry
change, even if I weren't a little bit worried about the security issue,
still can't work out how to do it anyway (since it's written in Geekese and I
am decidedly NOT fluent). I do appreciate all your help though.

"Peter Jamieson" wrote:

If you are seeing the SQL message, that is a good sign because it means
that
a data source /is/ attached. I suggest you make the registry change
suggested in the article to make that message disappear, then see how
things
go.

Are you definitely saving the mail merge main document after you have
attached the data source to it (obvious question, I know...)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news It's the 2007 version, and sometimes I get the message "Opening this

"Carol R." wrote in message
I have this letter I use that is merged with an excel database, but
every
time I open the letter I have to re-assign my data source.
Shouldn't
it
be
saving this information so I don't have to keep linking the letter
database every time I open the file?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

There are definitely problems with data sources on network drives in Word
2007. However, whether your problem is one that has already been reported I
do not know.

/Some/ of these problems may be related to the following article (sorry if
it is also incomprehensible but I can't really do all that much more than
point you to such stuff. Also, the problem may exist on other software
versions than the ones mentioned). One thing you may be in a position to do
is make a copy of the data source on a local drive (or even make a new test
data source on a local drive, then perhaps copy it to a network drive) and
see if that does work all the time.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/834699/en-us

--
Peter Jamieson