Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Amanda H Amanda H is offline

Default Merge field - Look up table problem

I have created a mail merge to an Access database query which included a
field from a look up table. The look up table is set to display the long
name e.g. description of course, in the 2nd column in the look up table
rather than the 1st column the 'course code'. This works in Access in the
personal details table and in the 'select' query to select the recipients.
However, in the mail merge document the merge field dispays the course code
(the first column of the look up table) rather than the course name (the
second column of the look up table).

How can I change or formatt the merge field to display the course name
rather than the course code?

Any help would be gratfuly received.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Amanda H[_2_] Amanda H[_2_] is offline

Doug,

Thank you for your reply.

I have set up the merge to a query - in order to select the recipients - the
query shows the course name (i.e. the second column of the look up table)
rather than the course code (the first column of the look up table).

The frustrating thing is, I am sure I have done a mailmerge like this in the
past and it worked fine. I suspect it is something to do with the field
format in the mail merge itself, but can not remember how to change it.

Perhaps I need to rebuild the look up table?

Regards

Amanda

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use an Access select query as the datasource and design that query show that
it shows the fields that you require in the mailmerge.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Amanda H" Amanda wrote in message
I have created a mail merge to an Access database query which included a
field from a look up table. The look up table is set to display the long
name e.g. description of course, in the 2nd column in the look up table
rather than the 1st column the 'course code'. This works in Access in the
personal details table and in the 'select' query to select the recipients.
However, in the mail merge document the merge field dispays the course
code
(the first column of the look up table) rather than the course name (the
second column of the look up table).

How can I change or formatt the merge field to display the course name
rather than the course code?

Any help would be gratfuly received.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I assume that what you have is a table with names of people and the ID of
the course that they are attending and then another table with ID of each
course in one column and the name of the course in the other column and
that in the query, you have a link between the Course ID field in each of
the tables and you are displaying the names of the people and the names of
the courses. If that is the case, in the merge document, it is the field
that displays the name of the course that you should be inserting.

What are the names of the fields in the query that does show the correct
data?

And, what are the names of the merge fields that you have in the document?

I do not think that it is anything to do with the field format in the mail
merge main document, the field name, more likely.

merge field problem Curt Mailmerge 3 June 24th 07 08:53 PM
Problem with merge data to word document merge field DB Microsoft Word Help 1 September 14th 06 11:18 PM
problem protecting calculated field in table Kelly Tables 6 May 23rd 06 06:51 PM
Merge field problem Param Mailmerge 4 April 14th 06 03:04 AM
Insert Merge Field problem with Word-Mail Merge from Excel documen Augusta E. Microsoft Word Help 2 June 20th 05 10:59 AM