Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Howard101 Howard101 is offline

Default Merge Database from Excel

I currently have an excel spreadsheet that I use as a database for
clients and I use Word for Proposals, Invoices and the like via a mail
merge command that pulls in the relevant client line details into the
Word document.

I now require to put a section on the database spreadsheet which will
merge in all the pricing details of our various events. So when I need
to make changes it is updated only in one place and it affects
everyone's documents accessing the database on the network (Only 3
users). However, this would obviously need to be done with absolute
cell addressing (something like $A$1). How do I do this in a mail merge
type environment?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Howard

--
Howard101
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I think that it would be better to put the details of the events and the
pricing into a Word template from which the users create the document that
they want to merge with the client data.

The template should be stored in a folder on your network and that folder
should be selected as the Work Group Templates Folder under
ToolsOptionsFile Locations in Word

That is probably quite satisfactory for 3 users. However, another method of
distributing the template is given in the article "Distributing macros to
other users" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Howard101" wrote in message

I currently have an excel spreadsheet that I use as a database for
clients and I use Word for Proposals, Invoices and the like via a mail
merge command that pulls in the relevant client line details into the
Word document.

I now require to put a section on the database spreadsheet which will
merge in all the pricing details of our various events. So when I need
to make changes it is updated only in one place and it affects
everyone's documents accessing the database on the network (Only 3
users). However, this would obviously need to be done with absolute
cell addressing (something like $A$1). How do I do this in a mail merge
type environment?
Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Howard

--
Howard101

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Howard101[_2_] Howard101[_2_] is offline

Doug Robbins - Word MVP;2649433 Wrote:
I think that it would be better to put the details of the events and the

pricing into a Word template from which the users create the document
that
they want to merge with the client data.

The template should be stored in a folder on your network and that
folder
should be selected as the Work Group Templates Folder under
ToolsOptionsFile Locations in Word

That is probably quite satisfactory for 3 users. However, another
method of
distributing the template is given in the article "Distributing macros
other users" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Howard101" wrote in message
...-

[...]

Hi Doug

I have prices on sheet2 in Excel and need to merge the Prices into a
Word Document. When there is a price change I need it to update the
Word Document.

Your assistance will be most appreciated

Regards

Howard

--
Howard101
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Are you also merging data from Sheet 1 of the spreadsheet. If so, Word no
can do. It can only use a single flat file as the data source - i.e. one
sheet of a work book.

Apart from that, it sounds like you may be wanting documents that had
already been created by merging data from the data source to be later
updated if the data source changes. That is something else that cannot be
done with mail merge as once the merge is executed to a new document, there
is no link between that document and the data source. It would be necessary
to re-execute the merge.

Tell us completely and exactly what it is that you want to do and we may be
able to suggest how it can be done. Concentrate more on the what you have
to start with and what you want to end up with, rather than how you think it
might be done.

--

"Howard101" wrote in message

Doug Robbins - Word MVP;2649433 Wrote:
I think that it would be better to put the details of the events and the

pricing into a Word template from which the users create the document
that
they want to merge with the client data.

The template should be stored in a folder on your network and that
folder
should be selected as the Work Group Templates Folder under
ToolsOptionsFile Locations in Word

That is probably quite satisfactory for 3 users. However, another
method of
distributing the template is given in the article "Distributing macros
other users" at:

http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Macros...buteMacros.htm

--
Hope this helps.