Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
trailman trailman is offline

Default bulleted lists

I have a list of places and activities at each of those places to type into a
list. I put a bullet at the beginning of the first place in the list,
followed by sub-bullets for the activities at that place. When I try to put a
bullet at the next place, Word wants to retain the format for the sub-bullet.
I've failed to come up with a work-around other than to type a line without a
bullet in between the next "place" and I've tried to format the next line by
formatting the bullet - doesn't work ... Help!!!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"trailman" wrote:

I have a list of places and activities at each of those places to type into a
list. I put a bullet at the beginning of the first place in the list,
followed by sub-bullets for the activities at that place. When I try to put a
bullet at the next place, Word wants to retain the format for the sub-bullet.
I've failed to come up with a work-around other than to type a line without a
bullet in between the next "place" and I've tried to format the next line by
formatting the bullet - doesn't work ... Help!!!

The easiest in your case is to create two styles.
Select the first paragraph (Main bullet) including the ¶ at the end. (You
may need to click on "Show All" on the main toolbar, the button with the ¶ on
it.)
Then, Format Styles and Formatting... Click on New Style.
Give your style a name.
Repeat the procedure with a paragraph that is part of the sub-bullet list.

Now all you need is apply the proper style to change the bullet style.

Alternatively, you could use Outline numbering with bullets instead of
numbers. Then you could use Tab or SHIFT-Tab to promote-demote paragraphs to
the proper bullet level.

It seems you might need to brush up on styles and bullet/numbering, which
would be very useful if you need to use Word regularly.

See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/ (Especially the Formatting section)
or
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/...gExplained.htm

Bulleted lists Art Microsoft Word Help 8 December 13th 07 11:10 AM
Bulleted lists LJL Microsoft Word Help 3 November 28th 06 04:14 AM
tab key and bulleted lists serf690 Microsoft Word Help 1 August 13th 05 10:27 AM
Tab key and Bulleted lists numberonemuchacho Page Layout 5 July 2nd 05 12:24 AM
Two different outlined bulleted lists José Spanjaard Page Layout 3 May 10th 05 06:24 PM