Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Michael[_5_] Michael[_5_] is offline

Default Delivery point barcode question

I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet that I am using as the data source
for a mailmerge in Word 2003. The spreadsheet has a column of delivery
point barcodes (e.g., /857040700531/) produced by CASS certified
software. The delivery point barcodes produced by Word are incorrect
for multi-unit-addresses (e.g., apartments) so I want to use the
barcodes on the spreadsheet. There is nothing in the Match Fields list
that allows me to do this. How can I add the barcodes in the
spreadsheet to the mailmerge so the Postnet barcode prints?

Thanks,
Michael Bailey
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

FWIW, to insert a barcode using Word's facilities you used to use the
BARCODE field. Match fields is a mechanism that allows ADDRESSBLOCK and
GREETINGLINE to use the fields you nominate for "street", "city" etc. But
ADDRESSBLOCK cannot output a barcode anyway.

AIUI the basic problem is that Word's built-in BARCODE fields will not do
what you want. At best, BARCODE fields will take a street address and a
9-digit ZIP and generate an 11-digit ZIP from that information, and since
Word's algorithm for generating the last 2 digits doesn't conform to the
USPS rules, you can't reliably use Word for this purpose.
(see

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/897290

Tere's a specific article about the problem with "multi-unit buildings"
he

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/220548
)

The thread starting at

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/mic...on+barcode+zip

has a response from a "mass mailer" which says

-----------------------------------
I work in the mailing industry and the USPS Merlin system
will not pass your mail (for discounted rates) if the
barcode for multi-unit addresses does not include the
delivery point. No worries unless you're a high volume
mailer like we are. Reference:
http://www.usps.com/communications/n...s/2003/pr03_10
2.pdf

I read the articles reference by our MVP and I don't know
where (or when might be a better focus) Microsoft got
their info from the USPS but we are now discontinuing the
use of Word in favor of another product that will use the
DPBC generated by our postal certified software. The pay
up on a 80,000+ piece mailing that failed to pass MERLIN
was over $2000; it doesn't take many of those to pay for
$8000 software product that will generate the right
barcode.

On the other hand, it would be nice if Word would accept
the 11 digit DPBC generated by mailer software.

Perhaps another option for Word users is to purchase a
font package. You would still need to insure they keep
up with the continuing evolving USPS standards.

Best I can do, sorry...

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Michael" wrote in message
I have an Excel 2003 spreadsheet that I am using as the data source
for a mailmerge in Word 2003. The spreadsheet has a column of delivery
point barcodes (e.g., /857040700531/) produced by CASS certified
software. The delivery point barcodes produced by Word are incorrect
for multi-unit-addresses (e.g., apartments) so I want to use the
barcodes on the spreadsheet. There is nothing in the Match Fields list
that allows me to do this. How can I add the barcodes in the
spreadsheet to the mailmerge so the Postnet barcode prints?

Thanks,
Michael Bailey

Delivery point barcode will not print on envelopes? JimJan Microsoft Word Help 4 July 8th 13 03:44 AM
Delivery Point Barcode twen Mailmerge 1 November 16th 06 10:14 AM
Delivery Point Barcode location on envelope davek Microsoft Word Help 2 March 22nd 05 04:18 AM
'delivery point barcode' Mike L Microsoft Word Help 1 February 27th 05 10:13 PM
Delivery point barcode Hank-B Microsoft Word Help 2 January 31st 05 05:16 PM